cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor Eric8
Occasional Contributor

Camera Issue after installing NBN

Hi there, I recently installed NBN at home. Prior to that I used to use cable. Before I am able to use my mobile to access the security camera. However after installing NBN I am unable. Does anyone know how i can access my security camera at home? As my ip address is no longer the normal address. 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Camera Issue after installing NBN

What do you mean “the normal address”?

are you using a different router? If yes, then you need to setup your forwarding rules again towards the camera. Optus can’t support you through this as it’s not something their support can action. 

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I am using the modem that Optus have provide. The NBN was installed yesterday. In my previous Cable modem connection with Optus. All i had to do is plug the camera ethernet cable into the Optus modem that was provided. And than type 'whatismyipaddress' and that was done. However this is not the case now with NBN? Do you know if Optus provides a static ip address? Or way to find your ip address that i can just input? Or method to do so?

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

The same way, you just need to tell your new NBN router how to push your connection to the camera. 

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I have already done that. Thats why obvious i am posting here. The IP address provide after the NBN connection is totally differently from the ADSL or Cable internet. More like an intranet ip address than actually internet connection. That is why i have posted this question on the forum. Need a static ip address provided from Optus after connecting to NBN.  Also do anyone know how perform portforwarding on the modem?

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

The IP address assigned will be different because you are on NBN. They don't use the same IP ranges on cable/ADSL as they do on NBN. So if you visit www.whatismyip.com it will show you the IP you are connected with. When using this site it'll show like this....

• Your Public IPv6 is: 2403:5800:3100:6e01:x:x:x:x
  • Your IPv4 is: 180.xxx.xxx.xxx
  • Your Local IP is: 10.90.1.41

So in this case, connecting from the outside my IP address would be 180.xxx.xxx.xxx

As for the port forwarding, simply connect to the administration page of your router via http://192.168.0.1, enter the username and password (Found on the base of the router), then go into NAT and add a rule that forwards whatever port number you want to use to the IP address of your camera (or camera system). Note, you can't and won't be able to use port 80 as this is blocked for all consumer customers.

Also Optus does not offer "static IP". You may have noticed with your connection it very rarely changed, this would be the case with NBN. These are called "sticky IP addresses".

Occasional Contributor

Thanks so much for the info. I will definitely have a look and see it works. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

In the NAT section. What do i choose? there seems to be quite abit of selection 'select services' any you recommend? Thanks

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

The difficulty without knowing the camera it's hard to say. 

If you consult the manual for your camera, it'll tell you what ports you need to forward to make it work. The best thing would be not to "select" the service, but manually key in the details. 

Internal IP > The address of the "Camera" or "Camera System"

Internal Port > The port number the camera answers on

External Port > What port on the outside IP listed above will answer to reach the camera.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks so much for the help. Will definitely try and look around in the manual. The security camera system is abit old. So will test out the ports numbers and see which one is most suitable. 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors