Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
rmdelacroix
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Cable to NBN switch - Issues

Hello there,

Thanks for your considered comments.  Yes, I am aware that the NBN tech will only do the most basic stuff but the company I engaged to do the Overhead Lead-in cable is an accredited NBN cabler as such.  There is nothing anywhere that says it cannot go thru the air, so to speak. 

I know there is no DPU in my FTTC pit because I checked and my guy double checked all nearby pits as well.  Nil DPU's anywhere. 

Yes, there will be a short step (70 cm) from the pit to "my" Powerpole and then via conduit up to the described minimum height required. Actually, the areal cable will be pretty much along the same way as the current Optus HFC (?) Cable.

How long after you ordered your NBN plan did you have to wait for the Optus Modem? I have received the ordered FETCH box though today. 

0 Kudos
rmdelacroix
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks again for you very valuable comments.  I do appreciate your patience with me. However, there is unfortunately no way a new underground conduit can be dug or laid from the front gate to the house because the whole area is heavily concreted. 

Anyway, as mentioned to @YetAnotherAcc my guy has not declined my prefered option (as stubborn as that my be) so it will be interesting to see how this will resolve. 

I will surely update you in due course. 

Just had a call claiming to be from NBN and asking silly questions as to the current modem speed because if the existing one can handle the NBN speed they would not send a new Optus Modem?  Then the person wanted access to the modem - Nooo - Fortunately my daughter smellt a rat before I got myself into trouble. It was a SCAM call. 

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@rmdelacroix wrote:

the company I engaged to do the Overhead Lead-in cable is an accredited NBN cabler as such.  There is nothing anywhere that says it cannot go thru the air, so to speak. 

I know there is nothing unusual in doing it via overhead, I'm just surprised that a cabler not directly engaged by NBN is allowed to touch power pols and dig holes in the nature strip.

I know there is no DPU in my FTTC pit because I checked and my guy double checked all nearby pits as well.  Nil DPU's anywhere.  

OK.

Yes, there will be a short step (70 cm) from the pit to "my" Powerpole 

There is no guarantee that the DPU will be put into the pit next to your power pole.  I have I pit right in from on my house, but my DPU is the one across the road.

How long after you ordered your NBN plan did you have to wait for the Optus Modem? 

I think it was about two weeks from date of order. It will all depend on stock levels and the target date of the NBN tech visit. I think Optus' stated target is for customers the receive their modems just a few days before NBN install.

Anyway, as mentioned to @YetAnotherAcc my guy has not declined my prefered option (as stubborn as that my be) so it will be interesting to see how this will resolve. 

Well your guy is an accredited installer so he should definitely know what's doable and what's not. All I've got to go by is what I read in forums 🤣.

I will surely update you in due course. 

Please do. You certainly have an uncommon install.

Just had a call claiming to be from NBN and asking silly questions as to the current modem speed because if the existing one can handle the NBN speed they would not send a new Optus Modem? 

Definitely a scam.

1st off, the NBN will never contact you as your are not their customer, Optus is.

2nd NBN has nothing to do with Optus modems, and it nothing to do with them what Optus modem you get.

Then the person wanted access to the modem - Nooo 

And that is easily the 3rd, and most obvious, sign.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

This isn't about 'basic' stuff. There are very clear legal lines that mean various people can only go so far. Its one of the reasons getting an NBN install can be quite tedious and frustrating. It might be only 1cm from the Telstra pit to your pole but but that gap in most situations can't be breached.

AS far as I can see accredited NBN cablers are credited to work "in-home". Once you hop over the fence to a nearby power pole then the accreditation ceases. Certainly they can't go near an NBN pit.

https://www.nbnco.com.au/develop-or-plan-with-the-nbn/industry-collaboration-and-community-planning/...

But perhaps they'll set things up so that the NBN tech that is sent out can do what you need.

BTW Not suggesting aerial cabling isn't an option but again its up to the NBN tech on the day to sort out what they'do. Do let us know how it turns out as how the NBN actually operates in a tricky situation is not something widely known. But yes, I'd be there on the day (or have your NBN cabler there) to have a conversation as what you wan't isn't something that would be considered the default.

Note once set up you can ask Optus to remove the Optus cable.

0 Kudos
rmdelacroix
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hello - just a brief note to the subject matter. All equipment now received - great.  Scheduled NBN Tech appointment however needed to be delayed due to this stupid Corona Stage 4 we are in here in Melbourne.  Hopefully OK by Mid September. 

I will comment again on this matter once its all done. 

Thanks to everyone who took an interest and offered valuable comments and sugestions. 

0 Kudos
rmdelacroix
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Cable to NBN switch - Issues & Success

Hello everyone, 

As I promised I woulkd like to update you on how things went with my perhaps unusual NBN installation.

The new Lead-in cable (areal) was installed by my own NBN cabler - from the FTTC pit via a close Power Pole to the desired location on my house.  The previously mentioned DPU (supposedly to be located in the pit in front of my house) was subsequently found a couple of houses further up the road.  The Optus organised NBN technician (an ex Telstra guy) found it on the day of connection to the NBN.  He was brilliant and after some trial and error connected it all up.  tested it all out with NBN connection box and Optus supplied Modem and all is running as intended.  

However,  No Internet access.  This required Optus to actually manually switch over from Cable to NBN at their end.  This sort of message was no-where to be found in the self Installation manuals. 

Anyway,  after some hick-ups it was all sorted out. Internet OK. Then discovered that my existing Optus email address did not work anymore.  Again Optus came to the party and got that sorted out. All OK now. 

One issue that is still unanswerd is the fact that the fixed cable connection between Modem and Fetch box is not operational (Modem is about 10 meters away from the Fetch box and used to be connected via CAT 5 from my old Netgear Modem/Router via 2 wall sockets).  All other devices connected via CAT 5 cabling across my house work 100%.  The Fetch box activation schematic shows the Modem to be connected directly to the Fetch box, supposedly via the provided cable, which in effect is a CAT5e cable.  I cannot find any technical or logical explanation why my existing cable installation would not work. Oh, the wireless function is 100% and everything works. 

One final question: I believe @petergdownload mentioned that one could use the Optus Modem phone port to connect a phone even if one has NOT included telephone service in the NBN plan.  There might be a free number (which is what?) - Does this actually work?  

All in all I am actually very happy with the change-over from Optus cable to NBN - it works and based on my NBN plan is even double fast than previous. 

YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Thanks for the update.

So how did your cabler get the cable into to the Telstra Pit? Did he dig a trench from the pole to the pit?

As for the phone, all Optus NBN plans should come with a free PAYG phone server (as Peter mentioned). The number should be listed in the services section of My Account and the app.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Thanks rmdelacroix,

I'm glad the transfer went across relatively smoothly. It still astonishes me that after what must be 10,000+ installations Optus doesn't get things right like configuring an email address. But good to see you had good communication and a good result.

I take it your Fetch box is still fully operational? Sometimes Optus will permanently deactivate it when moving to the NBN. You have of course tried switching the cable into different ports in the back of the modem? Also switch the Fetch unit to wifi (5GHz) and see if you can get a connection that way (as a test)

I can confirm the phone line is included free. If you had an existing number then that might have been ported if you requested it otherwise it will be a new number. You can contact Optus and ask what it is or it will be on your Optus bill. Calls made by others TO your home will be free.

Just plug a phone in and you should be able here a dial tone (and ring out if you want but those calls will be charged. One thing to confirm is if the phone is properly configured. Test with a call:

1) Optus mobile to your landline number
2) Your landline phone to Optus mobile
3) Telstra mobile to your landline number
4) Your landline phone to a Telstra mobile

0 Kudos
rmdelacroix
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi PeterG, many thanks for your kind comments.  Yes, I have tried various ports on the Modem but to no avail.  Using the WiFi arrangement works seemlessly on the Fetch box. Quite impressive actually. 

Just for the inquisitor that I am I really would love to understand any technical reason why the existing cabling (hard wired) arrangement would not "talk" to the Fetch box. Anyone out there able to shed some light on that?

I have also attempted to hook up my old telephone to the modem but all I am getting is a engaged tone, most certainly not a ring tone as I remember it.  Will have to follow that issue up with Optus in due course as it is not a critical matter. 

Thanks again to all who have joined me and commented.

Have a great day and stay safe, where-ever you are located.

Kind regards, Ralphe

0 Kudos
rmdelacroix
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi there, many thanks for your comments and question. 

Yes, my cabler did indeed had to dig a small trench from the FTTC pit to the power pole and then up about 3 meters before hanging the new lead-in cable across to the house, terminating in a small Telstra NTD box on the outside wall.  Then dropped a short cable thru to terminate at a new telephone socket on the inside wall, to which I connected the NBN connection box to.  All no issue whatsoever. 

Unfortunately there is no new or otherwise listed telephone No on any documentation or app. 

Take care and sa=tay safe,

Kind regards, Ralphe 

0 Kudos