cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Cable to NBN switch - Issues

Just switched from my Cable service to an Optus NBN plan but the subsequent communications are less than constructive.

a) Your new email address is now active (User name xyz - temp Password xyz). WHY do I need a new email when my existing address, UN and PW are working just fine??

b) I am still on my Cable service, which includes the land line (bundle and being pid for) until the new NBN service is actually activated. Why should therefore my land line be disconnected shortly????

c) Communicating via Optus Messenger is somewhat frustrating. Chat seems to work better but it is just as frustrating to be shoved from one Agent to the next because no one seems to have the right answers to simple questions. (See point a and b here).   

d) I have NBN access via FTTC but require a new "Overhead" NBN lead-in Cable but that only can be facilitated via a so-called DPU (Distribution Point Unit) installed in the FTTC pit (to change from Fibre to Copper Cable).  After some troubling discussions finally a "Technical" Agent got it and arranged for an NBN Technician to come out and sort it.  The subsequent Optus confirmations of the appointment then confused the matter again by insisting that someone has to be at home - WHAT for??  

0 Kudos
23 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Cable to NBN switch - Issues

Good feedback. Unfortunately IME Optus NBN transitions are not great. If things go smoothly then you're ok. But if something happens then it will be you that is making all the calls and trying to get things fixed, not Optus. I almost recommend its best to get onto the NBN with a new RSP and then ask Optus to take you back once the connections are sorted.

1) NBN abd cable are different contracts and different companies. You'll get automated messages and duplication. There's a fair chance your current optus email will stop working at some point. Don't worry if it does as Optus can re-instate it easily (its just you that has to chase it up)

2) If you have elected to move your number to the new FTTC NBN line then that will result in the Optus number closing. Again hopefully they don't shut the cable down before the FTTC is confirmed up and running.

3) Join the club

4) As mentioned, anything more complex than Optus requesting "please connect NBN to this address" tends to cause problems. But be careful over managing the process as you can trigger unwanted issues yourself as staff try to 'fix' things for you. Its likely the NBN Tech will need access to the home to confirm dial tone etc.

Good Luck.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks very much for your comments.  All very informative. 

As to the change-over stuff: I did not order a fixed line with the new NBN as all one gets these days is more and more scam call's on these and there are plenty of mobile phones in the place anyway. 

The NBN technician therefore will not be granted access to the home for any "Dial tone testing" as the old Telstra Tel line will not be utilised at all. (New overhead Lead-in copper cable) to be installed by someone other than organised by Optus or NBN Co

Like you said the "system" sems to generate responses unrelated to the actual enquiry and actions taken by Chat agents.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

NBNCo owns the equipment (the little FTTC NBN modem) in your house (you have to leave it there if you ever move). They're generally obligated to ensure the signal (data, not dial tone) up to that model is working well (and fix it if it isn't). They can't test or do that from the street on the day without the access.

They usually need to setup the little NBN modem (which they bring and give to you on the day).

If you're not there on the day you may find:

1) The technician installs the FTTC equipment in the pit and leaves your line in unconnected.
or
2) The technician installs the FTTC equipment in the pit and connects your new lead in.
or
3) The NBN technician marks you as not home and leaves.

I'd say option 2 is probable but what the technician does is not under Optus control. Your choice to be there or not and to grant access or not. Option 2 might still result in a FTTC that doesn't work and another appoint needing to be made requiring access to your home to test.

PS Ordering a "fixed line" doesn't mean ordering a physical piece of copper wire anymore. Its just an option that comes with all NBN connection and uses the same connection (Copper, HFC, Wireless, FTTP) that your data comes over. I agree though that a landline is of much less use these days and of much more bother - that said your Optus Plan comes with a free number. If you ever plug a phone into the Optus modem you'll get a dial tone and can make calls (calls you get cost nothing but calls you make are PAYG)

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@rmdelacroix wrote:

The NBN technician therefore will not be granted access to the home for any "Dial tone testing" as the old Telstra Tel line will not be utilised at all. (New overhead Lead-in copper cable) 

FTTC uses phone line from the pit to the home, as you have had a previous Telstra phone line, that is what will be connected as the new NBN data port. NBN use the term "new lead-in" to refer to either a brand new connection to the home, or a replacement cable.

Part of the FTTC install process (when its not a self install) is to check phone socket what will now be used for NBN and replace it if necessary.

So bottom line is as @petergdownload says, if you don't grant access to the NBN tech you may not get a working NBN connection at the end of the first visit.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks again for the update but please:  I will have a new Lead-in cable installed in due course by my own sourced NBN cabler as I do not use the old telephone line.  This new overhead (from a Power Pole to the side of the house) run cable will need to be connected to the DPU which is why this thing needs to be there first.  

At his moment in time I have not yet received the new Optus Modem either so there is nothing the NBN technician can actually test, even if they provide the NBN connection box at the time. 

I really appreciate comments made so please don't stop. 

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I'd suggest you cancel the order. At the moment there is actually nothing for the NBN Technician to do. If you're not home then the cabler is likely to connect your DPU to the old Telstra cable phone line. Once that is done then the NBNCo considers your house connected. If you want to relocate any cabling or move the NBN point then you must get the NBNCo to do the work (no one other than NBNCo can touch NBN equipment). The cost to move or remove an NBN leadin is $500-$1000.

So I'd wait until you have your new leadin in place before ordering the NBN and make sure you're there on the day to avoid any confusion about which lead in the NBN Tech will connect to.

On a seperate note, I'm not sure why you would go an unsightly above ground cable when you could get your cabler to install a below ground conduit where you want it down to the front of the property (probably next to where the Telstra cable heads out. The NBN guy will happily run a clean new line of copper from the pit through the cable and connect it up at both ends. If the old Telstra cable is in the right place they can also just use that to pull through new copper on request.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@rmdelacroix wrote:

I will have a new Lead-in cable installed in due course by my own sourced NBN cabler as I do not use the old telephone line. 

As far as I am aware an NBN cabler is only allowed to interconnect with NBN equipment/cables, and can only do so within your property, so I'd be very surprised that they are allowed to connect it to a power pole.

This new overhead (from a Power Pole to the side of the house) run cable will need to be connected to the DPU which is why this thing needs to be there first.  

What makes you think that there is no DPU there already? DPU's service multiple houses. 4 ports is standard (don't know if there are DPU's with more).

And how Is that cable going to get from the power pole to the DPU, I assume a hole would need to be dug in the nature strip and conduit added to the side of power pole to that hole.

The NBN do not own the power pole, so I double NBN cablers would be allowed to just add stuff to a power pole at a whim. And your connection is a whim as there is already an underground path from the pit to the existing Telstra outlet.

At his moment in time I have not yet received the new Optus Modem either so there is nothing the NBN technician can actually test, even if they provide the NBN connection box at the time. 

NBN does not test with RSP equipment they just test their own equipment. When my FTTC was installed for example they only tested the NBN box. I actually had the Optus modem but did not connect/test it until a few days later because I was also getting an Optus tech out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi again and thank you for your frank comments.  I have taken these into account and will make sure I am at home to advise the NBN chap accordingly. 

The primary reason for not wanting to use the old Tel line or duct is that that it terminates in an totally inappropriate spot (Kitchen) apart from the fact that the existing duct is stuffed and it is impossible to put thru a new conduit from the FTTC to the house.   Furthermore as my joint has long since been cabled internally to every room with CAT 5 comm's I do not need nor want new internal wiring just to accommondate this forced on us NBN. 

The new Lead-in Cbl to the side of the house will go directly to the required (for me) location which happens to be my Home office.  Plenty of space, easy power point access etc. 

I am sorry to be a bit difficult with this stuff.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

That's OK. Getting the NBN setup first time is often pretty fraught for all involved (After that one of the big benefits is you can use any RSP plan and change almost immediately). I would suggest you take on board you actually have very little (final) say in how this install will be made. The NBN tech will decide how it is connected but of course will take on board your requests and anything you've done to make it all easier.

As @YetAnotherAcc has reminded me very succinctly is that getting the connection from the Telstra pit to the phone pole you mention might not be possible. The NBN guy will 99 out of 100 times use the existing Telstra conduit for your connection. They'll test the line (which is why they require access) and if its not good enough they'll replace it (If an existing Telstra connection is in place then NBNCo will ensure all conduit and copper needed will be provided as part of the install.

So I would suggest you change your overhead plans to meet up with the Telstra conduit in some way. You'd be surprised how a cabler can use the old cable to pull through a new one (can dig a few spots as required) of if needed just bury a new line along side. It would go from your study to the front fence (or as much as not covered by the old Testtra conduit). The NBN Tech would then use it from the pit to your study.

PS If you have a CAT5 point near where the old Telstra line comes in then that's fine. You just put the FTTC modem their and plug it into the home network. Probably better to lay the conduit to the study but its an option. 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors