Searching...

Cable shutdown once NBN available

DavidKnight

We are in St Ives, and I just got a letter speaking of the impending switch over to NBN.

Not happy, as we are on 100Mbs Optus Speedboost cable; and my understanding is there is no comparable NBN available at that level. In other words NBN is a setp backwards for us.

The letter is vague and while it says the ARRIVAL of NBN is about 3 months away, it speaks in loose terms about 'shutting down our cable network' but then qualifies that statement with something about continuity of service. Further, under the heading of "Once your home is nbn ready..." it says "if we haven't placed an order by the disconnection date that Optus will provide....".

What and when is this disconnection date?

How does it relate to this supposed 3 months impending timeframe?

When will Optus "provide" these dates?

All sounds rather vague to me; and I'm not happy with being forecd to use a LOWER quality Internet than I have right now.

Anyone know what's going on?

D

Re: Cable shutdown once NBN available

SamSam

So a while back NBNco bought both the Telstra and Optus cable networks. Shortly after, NBNco found that Optus' cable network wasn't fit for use and decided to scrap it and only use Telstra's. 

With that decision in mind, when an existing Optus cable area becomes NBN ready, Optus have the right to shut the operation of their network down and want to do so to reduce costs. I don't know what the official notice period has to be but I know 3 months is within their rights.

So what does it mean for you?

- Optus will provide you with a disconnection date once the area is NBN ready. You can look up on the NBNco website a rough estimate if you'd like to plan it but the disconnection date is 3 months from then

- You don't HAVE to switch to an Optus NBN service. You can use any provider you like regardless of your contract status. This is due to them shutting their network down, not you deciding to leave

- Shop around, find the the best deal. When it comes to the NBN, most providers are the same and can no only differentiate themselves based on customer service levels and price.

Out of interested, what service are they installing? FTTN or FTTC or HFC i'm assuming? FTTC and HFC should provide the same levels of service you're used to now, FTTN would struggle to reach those 100Mbps speeds

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Highlighted

DavidKnight

Hi Sam,

I have no idea what 'type' of NBN is going to be supplied. The letter doesn't state, and I'm just totally over the whole NBN debacle.

That said, I'm likely to move early 2019; so I'd have to change anyway.

Just frustrates me that existing 10+yo tech is 'better' than an under-performing NBN.

SamSam

That was kind of my point for asking though, the underlying technology isn't necessarily worse. Can understand you've likely seen a lot of news stories online and on TV and a lot of complaints (on here to). I've just looked it up on the NBN website and assuming you're the St Ives in NSW then the technology coming to you is the same you're already on, Hybrid Fibre Coaxil (HFC) or commonely referred to as cable. The technology is the same it's just it'll be through the old Telstra HFC network for reasons mentioned in my first post. 

Between the NBN and the RSP's in Aus, they've made significant improvements over the last 12 months and drastically reduced congestion which was a huge problem for a lot of people. 

If you are moving next year, be careful if you do switch to the NBN to watch out for any contracts that could be costly to break if needed when relocating. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own

MarkL62

I've just received a latter today advising I have approx 4 wks to arrange NBN, even though previous letter indicated 18 mths. 

This explains why, 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
103 Kudos
53 Kudos
30 Kudos
23 Kudos
18 Kudos