Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Cable service being cancelled in middle of COVID 19

I have received a letter last week [16/3/2020] to say my cable service will be cancelled on April 15th

I have since booked a connection with another provider and waiting on an install date

I am concerned that during this time [COVID 19] that it will be impossible to get any help if or should I say when I have problems with the new set up!.

Can anyone confirm if the cable cancellation can be postponed till after this crisis?

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
25 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Cable service being cancelled in middle of COVID 19

You really should have done something way before now. How long has the NBN been available in your area?

You should be able to get an install date immediately. Contact your new provider and request it - they just punch the request into the NBN site and a date is allocated.

FWIW Optus generally don't shut off the network exactly when they say they will. It can be weeks or even months after the date you've been given that the entire area will have its Optus Cable service disconnected (note its not done on a case by case basis, the entire suburb is shut off in one go)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I'd be very surprised if the cancellation went ahead. If NBN and Optus/Telstra aren't prioritising their technicians to complete maintenance and fault restoration at the moment I'd be shocked.

The letter is automated and with everything going on, Optus probably haven't gotten to stopping them yet. I''m speculating though so would be good for someone like @AlistarS to confirm

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks SamSam, 

I would imagine that you are correct, I just wasn't sure if the cancellation was an automated process of if a technician would physically have to do it.

Your reply has put my mind at ease a little, stay safe!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks

Yes, I have had a while to organise this and foresight is a wonderful thing!

My real concern at this point was that I was going to be cut off in the middle of this crisis and although I am booked in for a connection I have heard that the connections rarely run smoothly and it would be difficult to get the tech support that I will probably need [ not very tech savvy]

thanks for your reply

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Which RSP did you go with?

What NBN technology are you getting:

https://www.nbnco.com.au/connect-home-or-business/check-your-address

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Blog Author

Keep in mind for service installations:

We will only be able to schedule a technician’s visit if we think that they will be safe from infection.

1. Have you tested positive to COVID-19? 
  2. Have you or anyone in the premises been exposed to anyone who has      tested positive to COVID-19? 
  3. Have you been overseas in the last 2 weeks? 

When the technician arrives for the appointment, he or she will ask you or a responsible person at your premises the same questions before proceeding.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

He placed his order with another carrier @Dan_C, the question he's asking is (and I'd like to know to) will Optus stop the disconnection of HFC customers in now NBN ready while everything is going on? 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Highlighted
Blog Author

Ah, sorry. I'm almost speed reading with the amount of volume and requests we're getting today. That's a really good question and I'll ask work force opps. I'd really hope so, given the situation.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Blog Author

There's really so many considerations here.

We're confronted with a new scenario each day and things are changing so fast.

I really don't know whether they've considered what they're doing with forced discs, but I've sent off an email and I'm waiting on a response.