Searching...
Highlighted

Cable internet cut off on 15 July 2019??

RichardR

Optus have written saying that my cable service will be cut off on 15 July 2019. I have signed with another provider and I have an NBN order number to install my NBN service. But there was a technical issue and NBN have the order on hold until this is resolved. Since I've done everything I can to join NBN and preserve my internet service, are Optus legally allowed to cut me off before the NBN installation is completed?

Re: Cable internet cut off on 15 July 2019??

RichardR

Update to my question. The ACCC website states:

Can I keep my existing service if I place an order after the disconnection date?

Yes. If you act promptly and place an NBN order with your preferred service provider within five weeks of the disconnection date your existing services may be restored while you wait for your NBN service. Ask your preferred service provider if this option is available to you.

So, can Optus legally cut me off?

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Yes they can (Sorry). Usually the shut down is 18 months after the NBN arrives in your area but Optus negotiated being able to shut down their HFC cable earlier when they sold it to NBNCo. They are simply ceasing the service on their end which they can contractually do at any time. Obviously you pay no penalties and your contract is simply ended. 

Do you know if the issue is for your property or wider? If the NBN has an area wide issue then its likely Optus won't shut anything down while that is in action. Also the 15th is unlikely to be the Optus shutdown date anyway. Its the frighten you date but its likely more months before services actually cease as has been the case in most other areas. 

I wouldn't be too concerned just yet but definitely get in touch with Optus to see if they have some sort of process around your situation.

Peter Gillespie

RichardR

Thanks Peter, the issue is that when NBN arrived to connect us, they found that when Optus had connected their cable service  12 months before, they had cut the Telstra lines and left them at the top of a pole. So NBN have to come back to remake the connection. Fingers crossed we get connected soon and we escape Optus.

petergdownload

Foxtel also used to helpfully offer to remove the antenna in installs (Only later people found out they needed to bu a new antenna if they left Foxtel). Its actually pretty easy to run the line again (My NBN installer didn't like the way the original NBN crew had done it, and so reran the line again themselves (I think they just wanted the payment for the action really). I'd be surprised if they can't find you someone in the next few weeks.

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
111 Kudos
41 Kudos
31 Kudos
18 Kudos
14 Kudos