cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
Contributor Roamnski
Contributor

Cable account

I currently have Optus Cable account. Found out that NBN will be available in my suburb - Padstow before the end of this year.  I believe that NBN Co has acquired Optus and Telstra cable services. Wondering how this will impact my current cable account and connection? Can someone assist me in this enquiry?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cable account

Hi Roam,

Once the NBN goes live in your area you will have the opportunity to chose any RSP to transfer to the NBN (including Optus). Optus will terminate your exisitng cable contract in around 3 months from the NBN being available.

You're correct NBN have bought the Optus cable and it will be torn down in a year or so. NBNCo will be using a different technology to connect to your house. (FTTN, FTC, Telstra Cable, etc.) 

Check here for which type.

Without taking your specific needs into account, my personal preference in your situation is to wait until the NBN arrives. Sign up with another company that does month to month plans. This is totally seperate from Optus cable which will continue to operate as always. Once the NBN has installed your connection and you are happy with it you can cancel your Optus contract or transfer back to them very easily. 

Peter Gillespie

Contributor Roamnski
Contributor

Thanks Peter for the prompt response. My main concern is will the current cable connection from the street to my home  be removed once NBN is activated on my street? I am currently enjoying good download speeds around 40 Mpbs during peak hours. Once the cable connection is removed it will be back to copper wire!. So, there is good chance my internet connection quality would be worse than I have now. Am I correct?

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Roam,

You need to let us know what NBN technology you will be getting. I provided a link above.

Short answer though is no, your internet connection should remain roughly as it is now. Longer answer once we know what tech you will be getting (It won't be ADSL).

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Contributor Roamnski
Contributor

Hi Peter

The NBN website says planned technology is FTTC,

Regards

Ramesh

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Roam,

Existing HFC cable users get less out of the NBN than most others around the nation (75% odd). We've been fortunate enough to have high speed broadband for years now. One of the main reasons for the NBN has been to spread the bandwidth around. I only mention this to say for you, your internet experience will remain largely unchanged once you move to the NBN.

The main things to expect is

a) Slighly slower top download speed (85Mbps instead of 100Mbps) 

b) Much faster upload speeds (35 Mbps instead of 2Mbps)

c) Slightly higher costs (you'll probably pay $10-$20 more for similar functionality that you have now) 

So FTTC is the second best NBN technology (After FTTP) and will easily hit 100Mbps and is capable of 200-500Mbps when the NBN decide to go there. It will arrive via your copper phone line. Do you already have a landline cable in from the street even if you don't use it? Although this might sound like old tech (ADSL) its actually very new and fast. The fibre will basically be laid to the footpath outside your home and then the existing wire used for the last 50 metres. One big bonus is no installation is required, you just get connected up.

To answer your question though the process you can expect is this.

1) Optus cable has no relationship with the NBN. So it will continue to operate during and after the NBN is hooked up to your home.

2) That said, Optus has decided to cease its service in any area that goes NBN Live around 3-4 months after that time. That just means you need to get the NBN sorted when it goes live in your area (Did that link above say it is now available?). 

3) Note Optus shutting down its service means there are no penalties if you leave Optus (another great benefit of the NBN is you can now choose any ISP for the same high speed bandwidth)

4) The Optus network will eventually be scrapped and the cable to you home disconnected, but that's later on.

So at this stage you just have to make a few choices. The main one is who will you choose to transition you to the NBN? The most obvious choice is Optus. You just need to request it and they'll sort the rest. It will be a new contract though with new features and new pricing (you can't keep your existing deal). That said if you are a long term customer you should be able to insist you remain on month to month as they'll probably try sign you to a 24 month plan.

The disadvantage of choosing Optus is that they will shut down your exisiting Optus Cable on their end the day the NBN is due to be connected. Should be ok but there's a chance of no internet for a while. If you select another ISP to connect you to the NBN then you can keep the Optus cable during and only get it disconnected once you're sure the NBN is up and working 100%. If its a month to month plan then you can also very easily just transfer back to Optus after a month (once the NBN is connected transfering around will be a lot easier)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

PS. Just noted you mention 40Mbps downloads which is a bit unusual. With Optus its normall either 30Mbps max or 100Mbps. Are you paying for the Optus 1000Mbps plan and only getting 40Mbps?

If 50Mbps is fine for your needs (and it is for most households) then you should find the NBN will cost about the same as it does now  (its only if you want 100Mbps that there;s a premium)

And just to make it clear, You will be moving from Optus Cable to NBN FTTC which will have the same or faster speeds.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Contributor Roamnski
Contributor

Thanks for the detailed response. I do have a phone line from the street. We are currently not using this connection as we have cable broadband bundle with speed pack (upto100mbps) and paying $105 pm which includes a discount for having mobile accounts with Optus. I have been an Optus customer for many years (8 + years) and generally happy. I wish to continue with Optus provided the premium NBN price per month is the same or better than iinet or other providers such as Aussie Broadband. 

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

That's all good then. I'm still a little perplexed on paying for 100Mbps when you mention you're getting 40Mbps?

Optus NBN will include unlimited data, all phone calls, Fetch, etc. for around $99. However the speed will be 50Mbps.

If you want 100Mbps then its $129. I suspect the 50Mbps will be fine but you can always updtae later.

As mentioned when you request Optus to move you to the NBN try insisting you stay on month to month. That way you keep your options open.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors