Searching...

CG3000V2 Netgear modem unlock

[ Edited ]
Elare

Hi there,

I will be migrating my internet ONLY service to NBN at the end of calendar year and was advised that my CG3000V2 modem can be reused with the new NBN HFC service connection. I live at1 <hidden>Oatley New South Wales 2223 and I was advised by NBN prospective providers that I can reuse my Netgear CG3000V2 HFC modem provided that is unlocked.  Can you please advise of the steps involved to unlock the modem for re-deployment on NBN?

thanks

archie

Re: CG3000V2 Netgear modem unlock

Paddylee

NBN supplied HFC comes with a NBN supplied HFC "modem"

What you are provided with is a single WAN port to plug into your own router.

Some NBN ISPs need whats called PPoE logins for their services (as they buy off another provider not directly with nbn)

You will run into issues with this as the Optus router does not have this functionality enabled (Optus dont use it).

You would be better off getting an actual router and not trying to reuse an older modem/router combo

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

Elare

Thanks for the prompt response.

Can you please further confirm?

If I am going to connect on NBN via HFC do I still need the PPPoE protocol enabled on the CG3000V2 Modem/router.

My understanding  is that PPPoE is primarily required for ADSL connectivity which is not applicable in my case.

Consequently since CG3000V2 is such a stable HFC DOCSIS 3.0 Modem is it possible to provide steps for unlocking.

Furthermore, I was wondering if anyone has managed to redeploy the CG3000V2 functionality as a Data only Modem on NBN.

Currently I have it configured as a bridge and connected to a nighthawk R7000 router so I thought I would give it a go on this setup on my new NBN connection in the future.

Is it possible to also advise of the Optus cutoff date in my area. I presume that the Optus HFC will be active for at least another 18 months since my Oatley neighbourhood has recently become NBN ready.

Thanks

Paddylee

If you have a r7000 router why would you want to use the cg3000v2?

NBN supplies tbeir own HFC modem, you cannot use the cg3000v2 for that on HFC NBN.

I think TPG group if isps use ppoe as thats how their nbn works as they purchase from the parent and need ppoe to login.

Pretty sure a few other nbn resellers use this. 

Your r7000 should be fine for this. 

Optus HFC cut off is 3 months from your NBN live date, 18 months is for Telstra copper

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
103 Kudos
36 Kudos
31 Kudos
14 Kudos
13 Kudos