Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
madu187
New Contributor
New Contributor

Buying my own modem/router for my existing optus NBN with 4G backup

I currently own and use the Optus supplied "Ultra Wi-Fi Modem" with 4G backup, but as a lot of the features are locked down on the modem, I was looking to get my own to better manage my home connection.

Are there any existing modems anyone has used or knows about that would support my Optus FTN connection and also have a sim card slot?

I also understand Optus would have no support over that modem.

Cheers in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Buying my own modem/router for my existing optus NBN with 4G backup

Suggest you ask in whirlpool. Lots of options.

Also suggest that 4G backup is a bit overrated in Oz. We actually have pretty decent infrastructure. The occasional drop out can usually be endured.
0 Kudos
AndS
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: Buying my own modem/router for my existing optus NBN with 4G backup

@madu187If you want a 4G backup on the cheap keep an eye out on the Woolies and Coles weekly catalogs online to see when they have an Optus 4G USB modem on special (in NSW this week coles have a E3372 USb modem for $29) and buy one and also keep an eye out for a 12 month Coles data sim special and buy it (also on special is a 60GB 365 day Coles sim for $99, coles mobile uses optus network). If you want to save even more money wait until the NBN goes down before you buy a SIM from Woolies or Coles.

This will be cheaper than getting a modem/router with a 4G backup plus the cost of the data sim for 12 months. But be ware that the E3372 is not very good and as such if you only get 1 bar on your phone I would not get it as it may not work like your want it to.

A for a router as @petergdownload has said head on over to whirlpool and have a look at the https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/82 as a starting point.

0 Kudos