cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor BigDaz21
New Contributor

Re: Better NBN modem than the provided Sagemcom.

I have a white one and its dual band

0 Kudos
New Contributor Steppenwolf
New Contributor

WOW this is outrageous i have the newer dual band 3864AC and its crap..... continuous slow speeds (below 2Mbps) continuously having to reboot the modem to have the speed come back up closer to 10Mbps and the Wifi range is as people mention thorough this feed ... F*** all ... it doesnt work past my back door which is about 8 m from the modem ... i have to use my mobile data when im outside .... what BS. How about you offer a better modem for your HIGH paying customers and replace all these SH** ones that barely do thier job????

New Contributor Dtrain
New Contributor

Yes I too have just had the black modem installed using HFC NBN.  The range is very disappointing when compared with my previous  Telstra provided Gateway Max. Optus- no point selling these fast plans if your modems aren't up to it.  

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

The WiFi is deplorable but the issue with the slow connection may be a congestion issue at the NBN end (maybe Optus forgot to buy enough band width for its customers). Can you connect a desktop or laptop to the Sagemcrap to check the speed using Speedtest? If this is OK I would get back onto Optarse and get them to replace the Sagemcrap with a new one as it may be faulty. The NBN gateway could also be faulty I suppose but if rebooting the the Sagemcrap works possible not the gateway. Also you could try resetting the Router it by holding in the reset button on the back for 15 seconds or so to see if that helps. To do this you will need a paper clip as it is a tiny hole. Good luck.
0 Kudos
New Contributor Aus1
New Contributor

Re Resetting... received a replacement AC modem and it jambed on boot up.

Found if I disconnect all other Ethernet cables ie:

Keep NBN Ethernet cable and power cable plunged in ONLY.

After reset it booted to download latest firmware then rebooted itself then came up correctly.

At this point I was able to replug all other cables and everything works.

Two other points...if renaming 2.4Ghz & 5 Ghz wifi -  they must be different names! other wise the modem gets confused and your wifi is dropped.

Also go to Advanced in the Sagemcom ac 5Ghz and turn on beam forming.. It may help a bit.

The reason my original and neighbors modem died in a local thunderstorm - only the Sagemcom modems died the same way with no power light and others on is the power supply must of let a surge through and the modems power circuitry  (cut price looking at the missing components) can't cope and burns out other important components. The new one came with a different plug pack with a power led green. So we will see if next time it survives a minor power surge.

The main boards have plugs to fit external antennas... maybe this why these modems have limited range using only internal notched blade type antennas. Hence the range on Wifi is less than expected. Friends have large double story house & It does not work for them at all upstairs.

All up it does the job for me - Just, but experience late night disconnects, which by morning are ok again... not sure if the broadcom processor overheats or there is some firmware glitch...?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor DavidHarvey
Occasional Contributor

I am really surprised by the number of complaints people have had about the OPTUS supplied FREE device.

On Thusday 14th the NBN guy made the connection. What we had installed was a TP-Link device connected through an ADSL modem. At first I placed the SAGEMCOM above this device and changed the IP address on the SAGEMCOM to 192.168.1.1 to avoid conflicts. It wasn't long before OPTUS advised the STATIC IP (business connection) and the internet was working. Then came the advice that the telephone was active and the phone was a goer.

I now decided to remove the SAGEMCOM and use the TP-Link to PPPoE connect (username and password supplied by OPTUS and prviously configured into the SAGEMCOM device) with a secondary dynamic IP addres. All good and Internet working at a smashing rate. But no phone. Of course no phone and I wasn't going to waste my time with the Cisco SPA112 that I had purchased to connect to the ISP I had lined up before OPTUS. But business HFC was not on their horizon. I did look at the SPA112 but as OPTUS had completely blocked the Voice menu on the SAGEMCOM I chose a different path. Namely to turn off ALL the functions on the SAGEMCOM including LOGIN. Only the Time Zone settings were set and other functions (DHCP, Wireless etc.) disabled. Also I enabled the Optus Secure Password and set a new password. This was a little tricky because the old password of optus can not be left blank if the update is to be successful.

So the only thing remaining then was to connect a LAN port on the TP-Link to the WAN port on the SAGEMCOM and power up the device. After a minute or so the phone line was up.

So the internet and phone both working and all the positives of the TP-Link features using the SAGEMCOM simply as an ATA device give me the best performance options. I do not need to see the Voice options on the SAGEMCOM and if need be I can revert to the original set up with ease for whatever administrative purposes may be required in the future.

It is not har to work withing the OPTUS parameters and respect their choice of locking down the Voice options so that the SAGEMCOM becomes the only device to connect the phone. There may be a way around this but it is a waste of effort considering the device already has a functional configuration set and ready to go. 

Contributor lethal42
Contributor

Hi Albus (and others of course),

I am new to this thread, but its great to read from someone clearly informed as to what the 'agenda' is and how these products perform (or not).

I have got threads going here about the Optus webmail system (doesnt do what its designed to do) and the second issue I had was Wi-fi.

BOTH issues have been raised with the TIO...more on that later.

I am not on NBN (probably a good thing). Optus has replaced my netgear modem twice and now the new netgear modem with sagemcom wi-fi router has been replaced...yet the signal strength gets worse?!

Before latest replacement my smartt sony tv two rooms away could detect the wifi...it cannot now (either 2.4 or 5 ghz)!

Pathetic improvement unless you are really into 'retro'.. hehe

Yesterday I had a call from a customer solutions guy who suggested I look at a third party wi-fi router (i.e. they have given up)....he kept mentioning the nighthawk.

Do you know anything about these (or others like linksys...dlink etc)?

When the segemcom was replaced (after 2-3 weeks ONLY mind you), I had extenders throughout the house and garage (3)...I was advised to remove them....big mistake!

Yes, you get some bandwith loss for each one, but at least you DO get a signal.....I am not, now?!

It also depends on who you talk to at Optus whether the 5ghz will get further or better than 2.4ghz. The guy yesterday said feedback had been no (5ghz actually cover smaller distances), three other optus folk earlier told the reverse/conflicting story?!?!

The customer solutions people are chartered to manage these TIO issues as best they could.

I do not beleieve what I was told by the last chap...and the intial contact from optus (post TIO) was flawed. They at this time suggested unsubscribing from foreign email lists....will stop the emails....whereas we all know it simple verifies the email address as a valid one, and ripe for Spamming!

Pathetic, ineptitude...and knowledge level shall we say..

My other recourse is whirpool forum for wi-fi router info...but thought I would start closer to home and from someone who appear to have tread the same trail.

Appreciate any input guys...as optus are clearly going backwards with wi-fi hardware.

regards

lethal42

Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hey @lethal42,

I presume based on the fact that we've offered you our dual modem solution (That's our Net gear cg3000V2 bridged with a Sagemcom F@st 3864 with A.C), that you're running on our Cable Network?

If that's the case, I'm not sure why we've advised you to purchase a BYO modem. We're unable to configure BYO modems on the Optus Cable Network. It's simply down to a firmware compatible issue. Of course you can bridge your Net gear modem with another router of your choosing (that's what may of been suggested to you)?

In regards to which frequency band you should be using, one advantage of connecting to a lower frequency band is that the signals generally have better penetration. This means it's able to pass through objects such as walls with less attenuation then would a lower frequency spectrum. 802.11ac is theoretically capable of 1300 megabits per second (Mbps) which is roughly 3 x as fast as what you'd receive on 802.11n.

How many devices do you have connected to your modem at the one time? Have you tried changing your WiFi channel settings https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Broadband-Telephony-Knowledge/How-to-change-your-Wi-Fi-channel-and-...?

--------------------------------------------------------------
We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Contributor lethal42
Contributor

Hi Dan_C,

Thanks for the note.

Your now the third moderator to 'buy' into the issues, here.

Yes I am on cable broadband.

I have about 6-8 devices feeding off the wi-fi, and one connected by cable (ethernet)....though max at any time is probably 3.

Even the ethernet connected devices performance decreased after the old netgear modem was replaced by the newer netgear & sagemcom wi fi router combo.

No-one suggested a BYO modem..did I state that?

It was the Wi-fi router that was suggested strongly by optus cust sols person to replace...he even suggested optus may help with the cost.

Well I look at a number, including the tp-link, asus, kogan & the netgear nighthawk, and ended up with another netgear wi-fi router (r6400).

It is newer than the nighthawk to boot. Interesting to note .

What a difference!

No need to repeaters anywhere (though may set up one though in the garage as the peak times bandwith is 'just there').

Really Amazed (but not totally shocked) at how a optus branded modem is so poor in comparison....and thats being discrete.

How much of a kick back I wonder...or is this really optrus produced (manufactured, or owned)....hmm

Well the wi-fi is now at an acceptable..level but many months spent to get this stage with poor and conflicting advise, and techs that really dont do much after their limited scope is exhausted.

As far as TIO and cust sols....havent heard from them since the advise above, and expect to get a note back from TIO shortly playing a 'straight bat' (the optus coy line)..despite one issue being in sight of resolution, and the other plagued by poor beliefs and advise (the spam issue ) AND an optus system that doesnt do what its charter states and is designed to do (the optus webmail).

I'll keep this group appraised as well.

regards

Lethal42

Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

"Yesterday I had a call from a customer solutions guy who suggested I look at a third party Wi-Fi router (i.e. they have given up)....he kept mentioning the nighthawk." That suggests to me that we'd advised you to purchase a non-Optus supplied modem? After re-reading I understand the consultant had advised you to purchase a third party WiFi router as an alternative to the Sagemcom F@st 3864."

The Sagemcom F@st 3864 is a fleshed out modem with in-built Optus firmware. I've never had this conversation with anyone in the business before but yes I presume there's business arrangement in place where by both parties (Sagemcom and Optus benefit) as per any relationship a business has with their supplier.

The Sagemcom modem is included at no additional cost when you sign up to an Optus broadband service. I could see how offering a premium modem would make sense but for your everyday private consumer; they're generally happy with a standard modem. Higher involvement purchasers may see this differently but their needs differ.My usage needs are simple; I have very basic set up at home with the Sagemcom 3864 on HFC-NBN. I've personally never had an issue. We have in the range of 5-6 devices connected at any one time and I'm able to connect to 2.4 and access the internet from a room at the end of the house.

I'm glad to hear that the new router has made a difference.

--------------------------------------------------------------
We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors