cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor sydneyjt
New Contributor

Re: Better NBN modem than the provided Sagemcom.

I have a white one and thinking about upgrade to the black but still not sure whether the black one is any good in terms of number of devices it can support without dropping out in peak periods. Anyone can help? Many thanks.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I thnk the "upgrade" from the White to the Black is probably not going to help you much at all.  The difference, as I understand it, is that the Black one is dual band, that is 2.4 and 5 Ghz, but the reliability and WiFi range is just terrible.  If you don't use the landline you may be better off to replace it with a relaible WiFi Router as I have found that the Kogan 1900ac WiFi Router runs rings around the cr*p provided by Optarse.  You can connect the Kogan WiFi Router up to the Sagemcom and just use the Sagemcom to connect to the NBN, which is still ordinary at doing this, and use the Kogan for your WiFi.  From my research the Sagemcom can only handle 16 WiFi Devices so it appears to be an all-rounder in that it does lots of things .... a bit badly.

New Contributor Mandelor64
New Contributor

I too am a little dissapointed in what I have received, had it installed yesterday after the salesman told me I would be getting the dual band 5Ghz AC wifi onto to find the modem actually provided was the OP version.

Am I being unreasonable expecting reasonable connectivity from 20 feet away through two plaster walls maybe?

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I hope you got the employee number for the Salesperson.  I have found that they tend to provide a better service, OK usually, when you ask for their Employee Number which is a bit sad.  You could download a WiFi checking tool for your smartphone which will tell you the signal strength for your network and also whay other networks are using the same channel which may help you.  Also plot these on a map of your house so you get guage signal strengths in the areas you need it most. 

I was told that the range for the AC version was 6 to 8 metres which is not listed anywhere in their promotional material or the non-existent owners manual.  And the 6-8 metres is assuming the WiFi hotspot is set up in an open field.  Also the 5mhz band is faster but more prone to distance limitations and interference.

If they promised the dual band option pin them down as they should not be allowed to get away with promising one thing and providing another - just ask fair trading.  If they don't offere you the replacement, assuming that is what you want,  get a complaint number and go straight to the TIO and tell them what you want as compensation.  Optarse are much more flexable once the TIO are involved as it costs them money for each complaint.  Unfortunately Optarse do not learn from financial penalties apparently though you would thing they should.  Make sure you make notes , including dates times; the solutions they offer you; and time frames they promise about every conversation with Opus.  This will be helpful when they ring with a solution.  Mostly I have found that the moderators of this site are the ones willing to help Optus customers deal with the issues and they try really hard to help.

To this end I now have about 4 cms of notes relating to numerous call to the "tech support" line not to mention hours of scouring the yescrowd  messgae board to try and find solutions to the ongoing issues with their service and assorsted technical problems.

I still have issues with buffering even with a standalone connected directly via cable throughout the day and it has got to the stage where if streaing it does not work I move on as complaining is futile - yep means they had a victory of sorts ..... but I can't be f&^%$d ringing them again to complain.

Hopefully they will be removing the old HCF cable from the Optus network on Friday, 27/10/2017, after the install in of the NBN in April this year and 3 phone calls which was finally arranged by the moderators of this site.  If that does not happen I will be on them like a shot and off to the TIO again for a pound of flesh as I hate the way they treat customers.

Sorry about the long post but I hope it helps you aut.

JustinB
Blog Author

Hey @Mandelor64 - we can definitely check into your connection for you further and confirm if you were sent the correct modem. If you chat to us here we'll follow this up for you ASAP.

@Albus - I can see that you've sent us a private message. Dan is checking into this and will respond back to you shortly with some further details.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@JustinBThanks for the headsup re Dan and my PM.  It is appreciated. 

BTW was there any disturbance in the force this morning 7:30 am in Sydney as I got 1.8 down and 17 up according to lots of buffering and a speed test using OOKLA and the Optus Server at Blacktown?

0 Kudos
New Contributor MonaB
New Contributor

I’m glad I’m not the only one.  I have to turn the modem off and on at least once every night.  Only have tv & an ipad active on it. The phone wait stops me from reporting it.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator JordanOptus
RetiredModerator

Hey MonaB, it'd definitely be worth chatting with Tech Support and raising a case in regards to the dropouts.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Are you connected using the HFC to the NBN Gateway? Given the recent articles about the NBN stopping the install of HFC in some areas due to problems with it. Also I read somewhere on this site about " heartbeat problems" affecting some users as the NBN did not detect the connection. I certainly be asking Optarse to replace the Router as it just may be fail tier than the rest of them.
0 Kudos
New Contributor Hero1
New Contributor

Hi,

problem with even the AC upgraded modem is that they only have a 10 metre range.  So if you have the normal size Aussie house that is no good. 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors