cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Caspian101
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Better NBN modem than the provided Sagemcom.

The saegemcom router to be honest is absolute rubbish and Optus have been happy to provide this unit even though there have been a huge negaive respone about their effectiveness. GO FIGURE! Maybe they don't care about their cusomers.... I think so! 

Having used a Netgear router which recently started playing up had it changed to this new saegemcom model which continually drops out or operates so slowly that i am also told that i have no internet service...not the first or last time Optus have had this reported.

Maybe worthwhile contacting the ACCC as Optus really dont provide the service that they are charging for...

Caspian101
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi the AC version is rubbish...dont bother

SteveGee
Contributor
Contributor

The black one for fetch is allegedly faster but only due to its second band.

my promised black modem is in the mail

two weeks and waiting.

in mean time paying for 50 aka 40

getting 20 evenings

tio complaint in like an ashtray on a motor bike.

wait8ng on a better modem that will run my local phone 

waiting waiting waiting

Steve Gregory
0 Kudos
SteveGee
Contributor
Contributor

White is bog standard as supplied

Black is better 

so the story goes

would not know yet

got promised a black one waiting waiting waiting

cheques in the mail

Steve Gregory
0 Kudos
kevy_73
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks..Maybe I will give it a trt. Set some statics for the MACs on Wifi and see how it goes. For reference, below is a screen shot of the Stats. See the dropped packets. happens even on Ethernet. Yes I have contacted Live Chat and they have changed some settings (thinking its inteference) and see how it goes.

Sagemcom_stats.jpg

0 Kudos
differs
New Contributor
New Contributor

So if I can summarise this 7 page trail - the v3 Sagem NBN modem is not great in terms of WiFi reach nor connection stabililty. Seems the manufacture of it causes heat issues that may be behind the twice daily resets required by all on here, and probably most users. Best answer seems to be to retain it for direct ethernet connections and landline use (mandatory due to locked down SIP settings) but turn off the WiFi and instead use a second, higher quality router in bridging mode - such as the Netgear nighthawk - for Wifi needs.

Assuming its easy to build that - I will order the Nighthawk now. Be great if anyone who has done this before can post how it is done...?

0 Kudos
Alex_vdG
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi All,

Really disappointed with the wifi performance of the 'cheap and nasty' Sagemcom. Is it true that I can't eliminate it as Optus has firmware issues with all other modems/routers?

I plugged in my 5 year old apple airport into the sagemcom via ethernet, instantly got 47 mps at the rear of the house where the sagemcom was giving me 2 mps. 

Very dissapointed that Optus is using this product and that I appear to be stuck with it. I will be swtiching off its wifi to ensure it doesnt overheat as well.

0 Kudos
DavidHarvey
Contributor
Contributor

The simple answere is "you can make it work with other hardware" but the longer answer is "Optus will not be able to communicate with that hardware and therefore if you have problems that really points to NBN they will be unable to escalate the issue". So even though elsewhere I have documented how to get a better connection it has now become a matter of support when NBN and not Optus are the problem. So accordingly I now use the SAGEMCOM for the connection and telephone with a LAN connection to a TPLINK router. All wireless access and security as well as wired connections are maintained on that device. All other functions on the SAGEMCOM are disabled and the Optus Secure Profile is enabled.  

MPJ
New Contributor
New Contributor

I have recently upgraded our packaged with unfortunately disappointing results. Our WiFi has gone from a Netgear CM3000 to a netgear CM 500V & separate Sagemcom router f@st 3864V. We have experienced many stalls and reinstalations, very frustrated with the new equipment.

I called optus today to enquire if there were better options and expressed that my previous CM3000 worked very well. I was surprised to be told that an option would be to purchase, at my expense, a better router. I asked why is optus supplying inferior equipment? No comment back.

The end result is that I have reconnected my CM3000 and will trial that and review which way to go. So much for the promise of 5GHz and faster speeds.

I may need to move to Telstra if they offer a better service.

Would like to know how many other users are experiencing similar problems and have users purchased better routers to improve connectivity.

0 Kudos
KennyB
New Contributor
New Contributor

An update

Using the black Sagemcom upright AC wifi modem.

The system is still stable with performance not to get too excited about.

Don't use the internal wifi (the box is too stupid (actually under-powered))

Don't let it do the DHCP either (once again it is too stupid) get your own wifi router to do that as well.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors