Searching...

Re: Better NBN modem than the provided Sagemcom.

Damo71

Hi RichardGUSA1 I don’t use the router WiFi as I have an AP poe off one of my ports on the router. I am having port forwarding issues for my NAS which others are too. I also have a Ethernet switch off one port, ideally I’d like to combine a 1gb router with poe and switch in one unit but the draw back is the issue of the fixed line phone and modem to not lose the phone in the process

Damo71

Hi RichardGUSA1 I don’t use the router WiFi as I have an AP poe off one of my ports on the router. I am having port forwarding issues for my NAS which others are too. I also have a Ethernet switch off one port, ideally I’d like to combine a 1gb router with poe and switch in one unit but the draw back is the issue of the fixed line phone and modem to not lose the phone in the process. I’d rather not have 2 routers in the system

18yearCableUser

They are all rubbish - get an APPLE AC modem - Not cheap but I have always found they are the best.

Damo71

Do they work with the phone?

RichardGUSA1

I agree, they were the best but they have stopped developing routers (not modems) and formally announced in 2018 that they will continue selling until stock runs out.  There was no provision for dedicated phone connections.

Highlighted

RichardGUSA1

Hi Damo71, if I understand correctly I assume you are using the Optus supplied device as your router, is there a reason you have decided to configure your network this way?  Can you confirm if you were supplied one or two devices by Optus?  Newer connections seem to have been supplied with separate modems and routers as they want to switch out the modem when you move to nbn without changing your WiFi network.  I prefer this anyway as it separates things which can simplify problem solving when you have issues.  I have an Optus supplied Modem providing my cable internet connection and connected to that vai Ethernet cable I have an Orbi Mesh router which acts as the only router on my network and also provides the WiFi AP.  I have my NAS storage connect to the 1GB ethernet port on the Orbi router/AP.  From there I currently have a single Orbi satelight to extend my WiFi mesh and I will add satelights anywhere in the property I have WiFi issues.

For the phone connection, that seems to vary based on the service you have from Optus.  In my case, on a cable connection, the phone connect is wired separately to the internet connect and so I plug my phone into the wall socket, not the modem.  However, the instructions that came with my two units from Optus said that the phone should be connected to the Modem, not the WiFi router and so I would assume that is you configure the Optus box as as modem and disable the router and WiFi functions then your phone should still be connected through this Optus modem.  Then configure your WiFi AP as your router.  In other words, and it would be good for someone at Optus to confirm the phone VoIP traffic connects directly from the modem and doesn't connect through your router.

Damo71

I have Optus router/modem combo, I have internet to the node one wire to the house, from here it connected to the modem and phone does too. One port I have to my Ethernet switch another to my AP the third to my NAS. Ideally I would love to combine in one unit. Having problems with port forwarding on the router for the NAS it doesn’t seem to be working and others have comments on other post of similar issues with port forwarding. The other issue is the phone line and Optus not allowing other units to make the phone work 

RichardGUSA1

Ok, I have that also but I have disabled the router functionality on the Optus device so that it only functions as a modem.  Then my WiFi device (Orbi Mesh) is the router and WiFi AP.   This works perfectly, my NAS storage is connected to the Orbi WiFi router.

I believe this would still support your phone connection as you would plug your phone into the Optus modem.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
91 Kudos
54 Kudos
27 Kudos
21 Kudos
19 Kudos