cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor RobPergo
Occasional Contributor

Re: Better NBN modem than the provided Sagemcom.

Agree. The sagemcom drops out continuously. I’ve bridged my apple time capsule as the router and disabled wifi on the sagemcom.  That’s the only way I’ve managed to maintain a stable wifi connection.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Randal
New Contributor

When I was supplied with the Netgear modem, Optus told me that it was nbn ready.  It was a great modem and looked much better than the poor quality crap that we have now.  Why did Optus go for the bottom of the range modem?  I have the AC model, and from all acounts, reading reviews, it is no better then the OP version.  Big fail on this one Optus.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor RichardGUSA1
Occasional Contributor

I'm am finding the same thing with the Sagemcom F@ST3864V3AC and I have only just installed it so it is the latest from Optus.  Range is terrible, itsbonly about 10m to one of nthe bedrooms and signal and data throughput drop to almost zero and often drop out altogether.  Did you find any solution to this or do you just need to buy a decent router?

Occasional Contributor

I haven't conne cted phones yet, the install instructions said to connect phones to the modem, not the router.  So why can't you connect the phone to the modem and then buy a better WiFi router and ditch the Sagemcom F@ST3864V3AC?  I am not on nbn yet but I understand Optus went to separate modems and routers so that customers could change the modem when they moved to nbn without changing the router.  Have I missed something here?

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

My fix for the WiFi issue was to turn off the WiFi on the Sagemcrap Router and connect a better WiFi router to it for the wireless component. I find that works much better and I am just using a Kogan dual band WiFi router for the job. In relation to your question about Optus separating the router and modem is slightly different to your understanding. The NBN provide the "Gateway" which you are referring to as the modem, just don't say that in front of the NBN tech as you will be quickly corrected, and the Optus Sagemcrap WiFi router connects to it. Under the HFC network that was run by Optus the modem and WiFi router were part of the same device. Hope this helps.
New Contributor Randal
New Contributor

No, not found any solution.  No idea why it drops out.  As far as getting the signal around the house, I also have a Netgear Range extender that I had with my previous Netgear modem.  When I started having range problems around the house, I just logged into the wifi extender again.  I assume the new modem you have is the upright one?  Apparently Optus had so much trouble with the rubbish I have that they changed and everyone gets the same modem now, not according to the plan you have.  From what I have read here though, it doesn't seem to have made much difference. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor DavidHarvey
Occasional Contributor

Honestly mate you have no idea about the technology. With the SAGEMCOM connected you do not have to use the wireless to connect other computers. You can simply wire the SAGEMCOM to another device that performs connections without the problems you are experiencing. Originally I bypassed the SAGEMCOM and hung it off as a bridge just for the phone. Now I see that Optus want it as the primary connection for updates that they can push. Such is life. So now it connects and has just about everything else turned off except the DHCP connection to a router below that performs ALL the other connection requirements to ALL other devices. Piece of piss really.

0 Kudos
New Contributor IsDon
New Contributor

Has anyone tried to use the wi-fi mesh network systems that are out there now so as to fix the wi-fi coverage problem with the Sagem modems?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Damo71
Occasional Contributor

I have read 8 pages of complaints but where is the solution to a better router than the sagemcom rubbish that still can use the phone line as other threads suggest Optus won’t give out SIP settings. I’m happy to buy one but which one?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Damo71, the issue with the Optus supplied device is Wifi.  If they gave you a single Sagemcom device then you need to disable the WiFi rounder function and only use it as a modem.  Then buy a good WiFi router Such as Netgear Nighthawk or Orbi Mesh.  If they gave you two devices then use the Optus supplied Modem but don’t bother using the Optus supplied WIFi router.  Hope that helps explain how best to deal with this.  I don’t know why Optus is supplying such a poor router but it is definitely useable.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors