cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Hannah-L
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Re: Better NBN modem than the provided Sagemcom.

@RobPergo - Okay, you can give it a go. You won't need to manually enter any settings into the Netgear, it should sync automatically.

0 Kudos
ConfusedJen
Contributor
Contributor

@Hannah-L When the BYO modem asks for username and password to connect what do we use? The ****@optusnet.com.au as username and the password on the magnet?

0 Kudos
Hannah-L
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey @ConfusedJen, do you know the password for your @OPTUSNET.com.au email address? That's the same password you'd use in this instance.

0 Kudos
KennyB
New Contributor
New Contributor

An update.

The things I found.

Being a Senior Industrial Electronics engineer decided to open up the original modem to have a look inside.

Found that they had taken shotcuts in the manufacturing process, which unfortunately I see far too often (left of the radiation shield for the 5Ghz circuitry, and the 2.4Ghz antenna coax was run poorly across the PCB. Yep they saved a few cents)

The modem got to the state where it wouldn't run at all, and I could get it going by putting a fan on it.

Probably failing due to heat stress. (Common stupid design of modern electronics, put it in a "pretty" package and let the electronics cook inside)

So running it with a fan, and turning off the Wifi (connected my own Wifi router to the wired network) the unit was much more stable.

Opus have since replaced the modem with the newer upright standing model, however found that the optus mods to the firmware (extended features) were incomplete.

The other thing I have worked out is the firmware in the NBN FTTN boxes is a bit flaky so your line equipment needs resetting every so often to keep the performance up.

So what am I saying

Keep the modem out of hot places.

Probably better of connecting your own Wifi router to the modem for better performance.

And sort of on the subject. The use of 5Ghz only really works well if you're in the same room as the modem (the higher frequency has more absorption through walls etc),  and 5Ghz is only really required if you are living in high density housing.

ConfusedJen
Contributor
Contributor

@Hannah-L I don’t know the password for my email address only the email address itself. How do I find that out? I had to do a live chat to find out the email address 

0 Kudos
Albus
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@KennyBI made a stand for my Sagemcom just to provide more air flow around it.  Not sure if it will help .....  But you are right about the crappy construction of the router, I have seen pictures on Whirlpool, when I have been trying to work out why there were issues with it.  

0 Kudos
Tris

@ConfusedJen, we can't access the password, you can reset it via My Account though. Otherwise, please chat with Tech Support so they can on our end

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
ConfusedJen
Contributor
Contributor

@Tris I can’t sign into myaccount. When I try I get something asking for a security code? I have not received any information with any of this stuff. No username, no account number, no security code. Shouldn’t this information be sent when connected. Something said I would get an email to my Optus email address but I can’t get into myaccount to get it. So frustrating and really terrible service. Currently using mobile data because NBN  been down all morning even though all lights on modem are lit and flashing as they should.

0 Kudos
Tris

Normally My Account is something you'd set up yourself, unless you're assisted by the Customer Service team. I'm really sorry you've had so much trouble though. If you chat with Tech Support they can help with both resetting the password and the service problem you've mentioned as well. They should then be able to transfer you to the Customer Service team to assist with accessing your My Account profile

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
KennyB
New Contributor
New Contributor

The continuing saga. Version 3 AC modem (the black vertical standing one) Decided to investigate why multiple apple devices were being given the same IP address, resulting in poor performance and drop outs.

Looks like the DHCP implementation is pretty much rubbish so decided to lock down some IP addresses, and ....... that part of the firmware has not been coded yet (what an absolute joke).

So set up the other wired router connected to the optus VDSL modem to do the DHCP as well as the WIFI. The optus modem is basically too stupid to do very much at all without stuffing things up.