cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Albus
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Better NBN modem than the provided Sagemcom.

Is there an issue you have with that device that makes the single band sagemcom need to be replaced?  Given the poor signal strength of the dual band version, especially the 5 ghz channel, if reception in you house is the issue changing this will probably not help as it has internel aerials and Optus say the range in 8 to 10 metres which is very poor.  If you need to connect more devices via WiFi then this upgrade path will not be helpful either.  So if it is better WiFi you are after you can hook a decent WiFi router up to the Sagemcom for the WiFi onlyand just turn off the WiFi on the Sagemcom.  You will have to turn off the dhpc settings on the new WiFi Router as only one should manage IP addresses to other devices.  Hope theis info helps.

0 Kudos
Albus
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

It is a fault at thier end.  Maybe the Sagemcoms are not being picked up by thier network properly - mind you I am connected via HFC Cable.  2 weeks ago I had the same issue and the Sagemcom struggles for 12 hours, out from 9:00 pm to 12:00 pm the next day, to connect woth Optus techs trying something every so often to find and fix the fault.  Not only did they not bother to tell me what the problem was but they did not even bother to tell me that it was fixed.  The Tech Support is truly shi!!y.

0 Kudos
Dan_C
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@Mecho, there's no eligibility criteria per se.

Factors we may take into consideration include:

- Whether there's a fault with your existing Optus supplied modem? 

- The age of your existing modem 

We've recently released version 3 of the Sagemcom F@st 3864. For anyone interested, I've listed the main differences between the two models. 

V3 vs V2

-The V2 has onboard DECT hardware which has been removed in the V3. We have not used onboard DECT anyway. To save a few bucks..

-The form factor  - V3 stands vertically so that the WIFI coverage pattern is different to the V2 which sits horizontally.

-In a two storey home We found that coverage from the uprisers located AP might not be as good downstairs. The next V3 firmware update will address this with increase in the WIFI N power output.

-For WIFI AC the V3 has a better WIFI chipset which will improve performance

Broadcom 43602 chipset (3864V3) will outperform Broadcom 4360 chipset (3864V2) especially on shorter ranges

-The login admin GUI password is enabled and set to the SSID passphrase by default

-The dev login is randomised by default out of the box

-the device has better security features.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
ConfusedJen
Contributor
Contributor

My FTTN was connected yesterday. I am EXTREMELY disappointed so far. Speed this morning was under 10Mbps. I’ve had at least 20 dropouts since 2pm yesterday. On top of this I discover that I can’t change the DNS so I can use my Getflix service for streaming from the US. I am beyond annoyed!!!! So I need a solution. I have the black piece of crap V3 Sagemcom . It appears that I need to bridge this somehow with another modem/router. So what is the best most affordable item I can go and buy today from Officeworks or the likes? How do I bridge them so I can still use VOIP?? In plain English  please I am technically challenged. TIA

0 Kudos
Dan_C
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@ConfusedJen, thanks for reaching out to us. If you were to purchase your own router, you'll be unable to use your VOIP service. Without getting too technical, there's a specific protocol called SIP that enables VOIP. We're unable to give out the required SIP setting as it's a security issue.

That doesn't mean you can't use your own router to provide you with a WiFi connection, however the home phone handset will need to remain plugged into the Optus supplied modem. 

As far as the DNS settings are concerned, I'd need to confirm whether we've actually blocked the ability to reconfigure your DNS settings on the V3. 

Usually I'd advise you to type http://192.168.0.1 into your address bar.

Once you've logged into the modem:

- Head to setup and configuration

- Advanced settings

- Advanced setup

- Click DNS from the drop down menu

- Enter your desired DNS

We do have a step by step guide on our support page → http://devicehelp.optus.com.au/sagemcom/gateway-f-st-3864-mac-os-sierra/first-use/guide-to-the-modem...

Let us know how that goes, I'm happy to try and help out. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
RobPergo
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I've recently switched from my Optus ADSL account to NBN, and have had many issues with internet dropping out and devices disconnecting from the Optus supplied modem/router. I never had these issues previously. I even bridged my Netgear router to see if that improved the Wifi issue however there were still connectivity issues. After several attempts to chat with tech support online, and losing internet connection during the chat as well, I'm just about to lose it.

Does anyone know if my problem is typical of a modem/wifi issue or is it simply an issue with the NBN connection. I bought a range extender and changed the channel of the modem but still having issues. I just want to know how to pin point the issue so I can fix it.

0 Kudos
Hannah-L
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey @RobPergo, are you able to bypass the Sagemcom modem and connect your Netgear device to the NBN directly? If the issue persists that would suggest an issue in the network rather than a hardware problem.

0 Kudos
RobPergo
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Hannah

Do you mean connect the Netgear device directly into the wall socket? If I do that will it detect the appropriate settings? I haven't tried that yet because I wasn't sure if that would work. My Netgear modem/router was being used previously for my Optus ADSL account - prior to NBN switch.

0 Kudos
Hannah-L
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Yes, do you know whether it's a VDSL compatible modem, @RobPergo?

0 Kudos
RobPergo
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yes I believe so. It's a Netgear D6400.

0 Kudos