Searching...
Highlighted

Bad Routing

Beezle

Hi, Im experencing Lag issues when connecting to a Sydney based game server from queensland that no one else is having, my mate near me who uses telstra gets ping of about 25, I get upwards of 150/200 or more. here is my tracert report.. its entirely on optus side yet ive been on the phone to them 3 times and been on live chat for like 2 hours send them the report, they still say its the server, well how come im having the issue and no one else is... i can connect to the server but i am lagging. also my internet speed at home is a constant 92.5 mbs and Upload is 3.8, with 16 ms connecting to the syndey ping test server.. its really frustrating, also id like to add i have no issues connecting to other servers of the same game, also the server owner did his own tracert and his connection is fine.. like if this isnt sorted ill be going to telstra, is there a way to get this problem elevated? it seems hop 3 to 6 is having issues. regards. 

Tracing route to . [27.50.95.213]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
  1     2 ms     1 ms     1 ms  mygateway.home [192.168.0.1]
  2     6 ms     6 ms     7 ms  . [106.71.0.1]
  3     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  4     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  5     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  6     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  7    23 ms    22 ms    24 ms  . [124.19.61.3]
  8    22 ms    21 ms    21 ms  . [220.101.73.6]
  9    22 ms    22 ms    21 ms  . [119.27.49.224]
 10    21 ms    21 ms    21 ms  . [203.26.197.14]
 11    21 ms    20 ms    20 ms  . [203.26.198.26]
 12    24 ms    23 ms    23 ms  . [203.26.198.38]
 13    22 ms    21 ms    22 ms  . [118.127.7.17]
 14    22 ms    22 ms    21 ms  . [27.50.95.213]

Re: Bad Routing

Beezle

Id like to add as well that only my pc is connected to the home net work and nothing is being downloaded or used while i game. its not a port forwarding issue because i can still connect, Optus have already checked my connection as well and its fine.. so its those hops, if there are anyway to get around it, im all ears, Im thinking Vpn (GPN) or changing providers or contacting the ombudsman

Paddylee

If you dont get a reaponse from a hop it does not mean there is a fault. 

Plenty of routers dont reply to the ping request so that is normal.

Your latency on the traceroute is also fine so its very hard to tell what is wrong. 

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

Beezle

Its really frustrating trying to find out whats the cause but its something todo with the route because i can connect to other servers fine, no one has an issue connecting to his only me. 

adventurethis

I've been having a similar problem

based in WA connecting to sydney based serverse for gaming

ping is usually fine but packet loss ins a major issue

spoke to optus support over the phone and nothing was resolved, im using the optus provided modem with a wired ethernet connection and nobody on this forum or over the phone has been able to trouble shoot and find what is causing the issue

i would think at the very least someone would be able to find the cause of packet loss

what i do know is that using my telsa hot spot on my mobile phone has les spacket loss than my nbn wired FTTN connection...that should not happen

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
90 Kudos
54 Kudos
27 Kudos
20 Kudos
19 Kudos