Searching...

Re: BYO Router with Optus NBN VoIP

JezzaS

Thanks Allen. I had already seen your post. Like you, I require telephony, but want to use my own router which has already been set up, rather then the Optus modem. Your solution seems relatively straightforward. Setting up port forwarding on the AirPort Extreme is not beyond me. Am I correct in assuming that I should connect the AirPort Extreme’s WAN to the NTD, and a LAN output of the AirPort Extreme should connect to the WAN of the Optus supplied modem, and all other Ethernet câbles from my home network should connect to the AirPort Extreme. The only alterations that I will need to make are:

1. Setting up port forwarding on the AirPort Extreme, pointing ports 5060-5061 to the Optus supplied modem;
  2. Disabling PPPoE on the AirPort Extreme;
  3. setting up a static IP address on the Optus supplied modem within the range of my AirPort Extreme;
  4. Disabling WiFi on the Optus supplied modem.

I hope that I have understood you correctly.

Many thanks

Jerome.

AllanO

Jerome

That's basically it; you connect up NBN NTD -> your router's WAN port and a LAN port on your router -> Optus router WAN port, phone into the VoIP outlet on the Optus router. In my case I just set up a fixed LAN IP allocation for the Optus router in my own router's DHCP settings - whenever the Optus router requests an IP address from my router via DHCP it always gets the same fixed address, which is the one that ports 5060 and 5061 forward to. I didn't need to do any setup on the Optus router itself other than turn off WiFi which is via a physical switch not a setting.

Hope it works for you too.

Allan

Highlighted

JezzaS

Thanks Allan. Do you have any idea if double NAT will be a problem with this setup, and if so, how it can be avoided. I remember having double NAT problems with my AirPort Extreme when setting it up originally which, if I remember, I finally solved by putting my ADSL modem into bridge mode.

Jerome.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
89 Kudos
54 Kudos
28 Kudos
20 Kudos
19 Kudos