cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: BYO Router with Optus NBN VoIP

Hi @Nickz,

I don't think so (not sure). This method works as there are two boxes for FTTP / Cable. The first one just gets the NBN signal and then you can send that to a switch. With FTTN / FTTC which you have? is there only one box? i.e. the Optus modem. 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor Nickz
New Contributor

I have fibre to node. FTTN. This may be an issue so looking for solutions. Still on the hunt for a solution. Meanwhile I have the 100mbps on order to test.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Be interested if you're lucky enough to get >90 (I assume optus have given you a top line speed rating?)

Even if the Optus FTTN modem must be plugged into the copper, you can disable everything else (wifi, dhcp etc.) and plug a different router into it and use that as your main base.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor AllanO
New Contributor

I think I've found an alternative solution to the OP's problem that avoids the need for a switch when the NBN connection is coming in via cable. With this can keep your BYO Router as the first point of connection to the NBN cable modem, doing your home WiFi & LAN etc and feed one of its LAN ports to the WAN port of the Optus SAGEMCOM router which then only does VoIP (turn its WiFI off and plug all your local network cables if any into your primary router).

Like the original poster I wanted this setup because I didn't want to reconfigure the existing home network and also found the Optus router to be very flakey when being the primary connection to the NBN modem - it would just keep losing internet connection so disabling my whole network.

When I first tried feeding the Optus router from my own router I was able to make outgoing phone calls on VoIP but couldn't receive calls. Evidently the VoIP packets coming into the BYO router on an incoming call were just being dropped as that router didn't know what to do with them.

The trick (found thanks to a post by @SillyGogo on this thread) is to enable Port Forwarding for ports 5060 and 5061 on your primary BYO router. Set up your BYO router to forward traffic on those ports to the IP address of the Optus router on your LAN, and bingo incoming VoIP calls know where to go and it all seems to work perfectly.

If you know enough about networking and your own router to enable Port Forwarding, then you should also have no problems setting up a fixed IP address allocation for the Optus router in your BYO router's DHCP reservation table so that the Optus router is always found at the same local IP address, which is necessary for the Port Forwarding solution to work.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Great post @AllanO ,

Thanks for taking the time to share what you found.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor JezzaS
New Contributor

Peter, 

We will be getting Optus NBN via the Telstra HFC Network in a few months. We currently have Optus ADSL, connected via a TP-Link modem in bridge mode to an AirPort Extreme router, which services my whole home network. The IP range is from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.255, with DHCP allocation from 100-255, and fixed IP adresses from 2-99. The default Gateway is 192.168.0.1. I wish to keep the AirPort Extreme to manage the home network. I understand how to connect the units via switch and that the setup for each needs to be done individually. The settings on my AirPort Extreme will stay the same, with the exception of PPPoE, which is not required for the NBN. When setting up the Optus supplied modem, I will need to set up an IP address in the appropriate rance, say 192.168.0 10, and disable DHCP. Does the default gateway remain at 192.168.0.1? I can see nothing in the AirPort Extreme setup that mentions that this is the case, but I presume that it is. I do not want any unpleasant surprises when setup time comes. Is there anything else that I should be aware of with my particular setup?

I am very grateful for any advice or suggestions that you may have.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@JezzaS ,

I'm no expert in Airport Extreme but I don't think you will have any significant issues. The main issue with using non OPtus equipment is the landline. If you don't care about that then you're pretty much free to proceed as you want. If you want the landline then there's tradeoffs potentially to be made. 

I've never used bridge mode but you should be able to do that with the NBN modem and the Optus modem. However it might be simpler just to use the Airport WAN port? HFC has two boxes. One is the modem that is smaller and has a single ethernet plug out. Just plug this into your Airport Extreme WAN port and set it to use the WAN port. The rest shold be easy.

Note you may need to plug in both Optus boxes to register the NBN line but after that you can unplug the big router without issue.

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor JezzaS
New Contributor

Thanks, Peter,but I don’t think that I made myself clear. I do want VOIP telephony. I want to use my AirPort Extreme which is already set up for my home network. I plan to connect the NBN NTD to a switch, as you suggested, and connect switch to the AirPort Extreme via its WAN Port. Similarly I will also connect the switch to the WAN Port of the Optus modem, in order only to use telephony. As I mentioned, AirPort uses the range 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.255, with 192.168.0.100  - 192.168.0.255 allocated by DHCP through the Airport Extreme, and below 100 for those devices which have fixed IP addresses. Theses devices currently all have a default gateway of 192.168.0.1. Does this remain the default gateway when I have set up the NBN?

I hope that this helps to clarify my previous post.

Thanks again,

Jerome

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

If you use the NTD as a switch then it has no internal IP address. Your airport sends anything not an internat address down its WAN port/cable and the NTD sends it out to the NBN. In effect your airport is the gateway so whatever IP your airport has is the gateway address. 

As I said though the VOIP telephony might be an issue. I think you should be fine just adding the Optus Router onto your network (disabling everything it does so its just a dumb router in effect) and plugging your VOIP phone directly into it. There's also a phone port in the NTD so you may be able to just plug the phone into that still throw out the Optus router. 

Butr there will be some fiddling around though.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor AllanO
New Contributor

@JezzaS You could instgead try the port forwarding solution I'm using (see post above). Your AirPort directly into the NBN modem, and the Optus-supplied VoIP router (with WiFi off) into one of the AirPort's LAN ports. You just need to set up a fixed IP address for the Optus router in your AirPort's allocation table, then set up the AirPort to forward traffic on ports 5060 and 5061 to that IP address. I didn't need to touch any other settings on either router.

Top Contributors