cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor Peterkay
Occasional Contributor

BYO Router with Optus NBN Modem

The WiFi is so poor from the Optus modem that you do need an additional Router to get WiFi to computers and TV in other rooms and in external workshops.

The Optus modem is an absolute mess with all the cables hanging out the bottom, the thing has to be laid upside down or over an edge of a desk so the cables point down, then use some Gaffa tape to tape the modem down.

The WiFi is about 20ft, have to re route it through my DLink Cobra router to still use the WiFi connections.

Worst delivery and set up ever.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: BYO Router with Optus NBN Modem

They were never designed to be the worlds greatest device. 

You can use your own but you won't have working VoIP phones.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
Occasional Contributor

Hi, my phones are working ok thanks, but why would Optus supply a modem that will not even connect to the free Fetch box, it rates the WiFi connection as Poor. The wifi goes for about 20 feet and then cuts out. The NBN was to be the savior of all of our Internet problems, what problems, I have had excellent cable internet for some years with no issues, now I have had to spend $$$ to get a new line put in and now adaptors to run the internet through the power lines to connect to Fetch, the modem itself would have to be the worst designed modem ever, why would you have all the cables pointing straight out of the bottom of it, just a discrace of a modem.

Optus hopeless contractor that came to install it all he could do was shout at me why it all had to go in the kitchen, he would not even check the ports in the office, my Mac Pro needs Ethernet not wifi, so he said get someone else to fix it, stuff all help.

Yeah happy Christmas, to me not to Optus

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

The technician would have placed the device in the most appropriate location for the phone connection. If you want to move it, you can employ your own "open cabler" to shift the connection to your office if that is what you prefer. However, telco / NBNCo technicians aren't private techs. Your $0 install only goes so far... 

Your issue has nothing to do with "NBNCo being the latest and greatest", the idea behind NBNCo is to remove the Telstra/Optus duopoly and make the playing field level.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I agree you seem to have over estimated what a technician will do getting you hooked up. They will connect to a single point in your home (usually where the last point from the cable went). They don't use the Optus cable so they may have also decided to just run to a central point in the home. Generally they'll be ammenable to where you want it but not always.

WIFI and inter home connectivity is not related to the NBN. That said the Optus home router is not known for its great WiFi capability. It apparently varies from box to box (and of course Optus can't handles all home configurations). Its good enough to get a 'pass' in most homes though   I'd suggest looking into a mesh system like Google Wifi? 

NB As a Cable NBN user you should also be able to use a simple switch to divide the incoming line between the Optus Router and a router of your choice so you can keep the phone capability and hook in a better wifi.

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

All done thanks.

Just someone should tell the Optus CHAT people not to promise things that will not be delivered.

0 Kudos