cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

BYO Router on FTTP NBN with VoIP

I've been thinking of getting a dual band router to replace my current Sagecom 3864. I saw this method ( https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/NBN/BYO-Router-with-Optus-NBN-VoIP/ta-p/140974?_ga=1.194154221.1941...) suggested to others who wanted to use their own router. I just wanted to confirm that this method still works, since the last post referencing it is just over a year old now.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: BYO Router on FTTP NBN with VoIP

This one is a little more recent and posted by Optus so I'd say yes you can - https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/NBN/Can-I-use-my-BYO-MODEM-on-the-NBN/ta-p/202224/jump-to/first-unr...

Just remember Optus won't supply you with the necessary VoIP settings/info to set up VoIP in a third party router so you'll still need to plug in the Optus supplied modem and then plug your third party router into that.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Excellent, good to see that there's something more up to date, and that it's at least recognised by Optus now is the icing on the cake. Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Is Anyone aware if there is a way to achieve this with FTTN?

I have have a D-Link 5300 Cobra which I have connected to the phone line.

I have then connected the FAST 3864 into the D-Link LAN port via the FAST 3864 Internet port.

My digital phone is then plugged into the FAST 3864 phone line port

This doesn't seem to be working though.

Does anyone know how or even if this is possible with FTTN? Unforuntately I can't just use the FAST 3864 on its own as its WiFi speeds aren't sufficient for what I need.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey @jezstinger - i'm afraid you're unable to use VOIP on our service with a BYO modem, which would be why you're unable to connect. Sorry about that. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos