cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor NoCrypt
New Contributor

BYO NBN Modem/Router

I have a Sagemcom 3864OP for my Optus NBN with telephone and Fetch TV. WiFi in the house is poor – there are four people accessing the network on multiple devices, including two game consoles. Streaming media is buffering all the time. I have tried moving the router within the limits of the cable and also changed the wifi channel to other channels, with no improvement.

I would now like to purchase the Netgear D8500 X8 AC5300 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router as a replacement to the Sagemcom 3864OP – will this work if I connect it to the Arris modem that is connected to my NBN, i.e. Working NBN internet and telephone? The Arris connects to the wall by what looks like a satellite cable and OPTUS tell me I have FTTP.

Or, purchase the Netgear Nighthawk X8 R8500 AC5300 Tri-Band Gigabit WiFi Router and connect it to a LAN port on the Sagemcom 3864OP.

Or, order the Sagemcom AC unit from Optus for a lot less money?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RetiredModerator Hannah-L
RetiredModerator

Re: BYO NBN Modem/Router

Hey @NoCrypt, thanks for getting in touch. You can connect your own modem to the Arris NTD (Network Termination Device), but the Optus VoIP service won't work. You could look into using your own router and connecting it to one of the LAN ports on the existing Optus modem, you'd still use the Optus modem for your VoIP service. If you'd like to try upgrading to the Sagemcom AC modem, please send me a PM with your full name, DOB and account number.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Reef
New Contributor

Re: BYO NBN Modem/Router

I previously had a personal account and connected an ORBI directly to the Arris NBN Modem.  I recently switched to a Business Account which continued to work with the orbi however I then requested a fixed IP address and now I find I must use the Sagemcom modem which is a problem as I need to replace it with a MikroTik professional firewall.

0 Kudos