cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Re: BYO Modem on NBN FTTH - Not receiving calls

@rosscolazzo thank you for the update, it will be useful for many other users.

I recently changed to a rt86u, didn't have to make any changes. Aries - >rt86u wan - >, lan - >sagem wan-> alarm. Maybe there are some smart feature build it. I will give your settings a go when I have a bit of time. Also worked with cisco spa122 with the same setup. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I have same Asus router as you have connected in same manner (although on HFC not FTTN), but initially couldn't get incoming calls to work, outgoing seemed OK . After disabling SIP passthrough, RTSP and h.323, I could make and receive calls however recieving calls was short lived - would work for some incoming calls (from Optus probably) but not others. If I made a call I could then receive calls, but only for a short period (5-20 minutes) after which I was back to not being able to receive calls again.

I haven't enabled DMZ as yet as you mentioned that this started allowing outgoing calls, which I didn't have a problem with. Now I am thnking perhaps I should add a DMZ but not sure exactly what to set it to, as my sagemcom seems to generate two IP address from two MAC addresses within the router's WAN port.

Are you able to go into your Asus router DMZ settings and give a rough idea of how this was set up? It's the only thing I haven't been able to do that may be the cause of my issues, unless the issue is something to do with my HFC connectoin.

I guess the AirTasker fix was to set a static LAN IP address for the sagemcom in the Asus router and then set that as a DMZ, but as my sagemcom has two assigned IP addresses I'm not sure if I need to set 2 DMZ's.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi, there isn't a lot to look at in the DMZ page of the router setup.

There is a setting for Enable - Which is ON in my case.

Then there is a setting for "Address of Exposed Station" which in my case is 192.168.1.235 which I think is the WAN IP address of the Sagemcom.

I hope that helps.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thankyou for the information you have suplied, it's got me up and running now with my phone working in both directions. I initially thought I'd be having to get a seperate VOIP phone account as I couldn't get my Asus router and optus router to work together for phone calls.

I had to create a static IP address in the Asus router LAN/DHCP server tab for the LAN connected sagemcom  router, then as you described above, note it's IP and then set a DMZ to point to that IP.

I also found I only needed to set SIP passthrough to disabled, the other RTSP  and H.323 I have left enabled and it seems to work, has been atleast for the last day or so, although early days. 

Again, many thanks for your inital posts and yesterdays, couldn't have done it without them.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I searched for 12 months for a solution to this issue. Glad I could help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for this guide.

I've set up the same way as suggested.

Physical Connections

My asus RT WAN port connected to the NBN port.

My Optus provided Sagecom F@ST 3864V3 WAN port connected to one LAN port of my Asus RT.

The rest of my sired devices connected to the LAN ports or sub-switches off these.

Not using any of the LAN ports on the Sagecom.

Find out the MAC address of the Sagecom. It is normally written on the bottom of the modem.

Asus setup

1. LAN-DHCP Server -> go to the bottom for manually assigned IP addresses. Pick the Sagecom MAC address from the client name drop down list and select an IP for it that is inside the DHCP subnet (eg., 192.168.1.xxx), but outside of the range of DHCP dynamicaly assigned addresses. On mine I selected 192.168.1.2

2. WAN->NAT passthrough -> disabled RTSP, H323 and SIP.

3. WAN->DMZ-> enabled. Then type in the IP address you selected for the Sagecom - for me 192.168.1.2

So far so good.

I should complain too much about the optus modem. It was 'free' and was a good for just plugging it in and things working.

But, we used to get lots of periods of slow internet performance on the old modem (I think traffic overload). If I didn't need it for the phone, I'd bin it.

The performance, security and diagnostics of the asus is much better. I'm on a 100Mbps unlimited plan and with the asus modem I usually get most of that mandwidth.

For non-novice users Optus should better support BYO modems.

thanks again,

rodtod

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thank you all for this info.  I recently switched to NBN (HFC) - the previous Optus HFC modem had the phone plugged in to it and I could use my own ASUS RT-AC68U router with the Optus  router in the shed cupboard where network hardware retirees go to die.  Forced into using the dumbed-down Sagem router - this technique is just what I was looking for to sideline the Sagem - all it does now is work the phone.

Thanks again.