Searching...
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

BYO Modem on NBN FTTH - Not receiving calls

rosscolazzo
Hi all, After experiencing several issues with my Optus supplied Sagemcom modem, I decided to install an Asus RT-AC68U modem/router on my FTTH NBN service. However, I am having issues with with landline/VOIP service. I can make outgoing calls but incoming calls do not come through. I have a sizeable network at home with about 50 wired/wireless devices including IP Cameras, TV's, laptops and portable devices. I have a couple of Ubiquiti WAP's handling the WiFi which has been rock solid. However, I have been experiencing many internal network drop outs/crashes which appear to be broadcast storms caused by the Sagemcom modem. These happen once or twice a day on most days and are fixed by simply power cycling or pluging/unplugging the modem from the rest of my network. I have been sent a replacement white standard modem and even the newer black AC modem (which appears to be virtually the same apart from higher wireless speeds) and all cause the same network problems over a period of time. Since replacing the modem with the Asus I have not had any issues. The 2 devices are cascaded/bridged whereby one of the Ethernet ports of the Asus is plugged into the WAN port of the Optus Sagemcom modem. From reading various posts, this is the preferred method of connection and people have got it to work. Can anyone make any suggestions on any settings that might be causing this issue? Thanks

Re: BYO Modem on NBN FTTH - Not receiving calls

SamSam

Unfortunately you won't get the phone working with your own router. Not from what pretty much every other person has said on here and other forums.

Optus for some reason don't want to allow you to use the landline service without their modem. The work around people are using is plugging the Sagecom modem in and bridging to the third party router and having the phone plugged into the Sagecom. Not sure if that will cause the same issues you're trying to avoid but that's the only way forward unless you ditch the landline. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own

rosscolazzo

Hi and thanks for responding.

Yes I am aware of the Optus restrictions on using a third party modem for VOIP.

I mentioned in my post that I am using the Optus supplied modem bridged/cascaded with the Asus modem in order to get the phone service to work. The Assus is the first device from the NTD as I don't want to put the Optus Sagemcom modem first as this as I believe this is generating my problems.

So I can make calls but not receive them. I am wondering whether the Asus modem is blocking the incoming calls somehow and there might be a setting to change to allow the call data/VOIP traffic through? Unfortunately this is a little beyond my IT/technical abilities.

Thanks

SillyGogo

have you open the ports in the ASUS to allow optus VOIP?

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

rosscolazzo

There are some ports open on the Asus as I am accessing some things remotely but I have not specifically opened any ports for VOIP. Would you know what those ports?

SillyGogo

starting at 5060  through to port 5070 and 16384 through to port 16482 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

rosscolazzo

Hi I'm still not having any luck with this. I'd say my lack of experience with port forwarding is the issue here.

Can anyone offer any advice on how to open the required ports on an Asus RT-AC68U?

Thanks

NealW

I was having problems of a different kind with my Optus Sagemcom (F@ST3864V2), with WAN access to LAN servers. Now using a Belkin modem on the WAN side providing my LAN servers direct access, and the Sagemcom on the LAN side providing Fetch TV and phone. Did need to create a virtual server on the Belkin (WAN side) modem for ports 9000 and 85 (TCP) for the new Sagecom IP address. 

NealW

Bit of an update. Although the phone worked well through the Sagemcom and into the Belkin I did lose the service periodically due to what  I presume were authentication timeouts/failures. It always reconnected with an outbound call. Have not been able to access the configuration file by any of the methods describe by the knowledgeable members on the thread "https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2401743" but found some pointers that indicated either port 3478 or 5060 may need opening as well. Opened both, and now the system works perfectly.

Solution

rosscolazzo

Just an update on this issue. I ended up posting a job on AirTasker for someone to come and fix this for me and someone came out and got it all going perfectly for me. Can make and receive calls and internet is working well. No network dropouts.

It had to do with some of the settings in the Asus modem. Some of the things he enabled to get it going were;

DMZ - Enabled this and outgoing calls started working.

Other settings under NAT Passthrough - All enabled (which were default) except the following changed;

SIP Passthrough - Disabled

RTSP - Disabled

H.323 - Disabled

There was no need to do any port forwarding or opening of ports.

DHCP Server was enabled in the Asus modem too.

The Assus modem's WAN Port is connected to the incomming NBN signal.

One of the ethernet ports out of the Asus is connected to my Dlink switch.

The Optus modem WAN port is also connected to my Dlink switch.

The telephone/alarm dialler is connected to the phone port on the Optus modem.

Apologies if the details are a bit sketchy as it's a little beyond my technical knowledge.

Hope that helps.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
104 Kudos
37 Kudos
31 Kudos
12 Kudos
12 Kudos