Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Pross77
New Contributor
New Contributor

BYO FTTN (business) router and bridged modem

Hi, I have found out that I will be getting FTTN mid next year.

I run a business that requires strong IT security which Optus’s modem/routers are just not even close at. My system is a ubnt unifi system with a modem in true bridge mode connected to the security gateway. I then have  a 24 port switch and several access points to cover the full area, one WiFi point is just not good enough given distances, walls etc.

my question is can I use my own “nbn approved” modem in bridge mode to my security router? I see these forums say to use a very inefficient and problematic double routing by daisy chaining two routers in series. This defeats the speed of the nbn so is a waste and a bandaid fix at best.  Can I also use my own voip phone, again ubnt unifi.

i would like to know before signing up to Optus business nbn. It would seem very dumb of Optus to force businesses to use such poor quality generic routers particularly with the new cyber security laws coming into effect. Surely Optus understand the need for better security.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
SillyGogo
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Re: BYO FTTN (business) router and bridged modem

try this thread

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/NBN/BYO-Modem-NBN-settings/td-p/139504/page/2

VOIP, officially the answer is NO. However, since you know about networking and using ubiquiti setup etc...I am sure you can google a way for an VOIP solution. Alternately, you can set up a business grade SIP trunk and have the calls route to the external number. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Pross77
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: BYO FTTN (business) router and bridged modem

Yep found a lot of this out via several other forums. Just seam very poor form for Optus. Will they pay the very large fines for my (or any Optus business nbn) customer for cyber breach? Oh that’s right they have issues with there own security:)

all i I hope is someone in Singtel/Optus take note unless they want to replace CBA...

in this modern world you need to be flexible and adapt. Customers shouldn’t have to back door/hack gear to allow them to protect themselves from attack.

0 Kudos