cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Awful nbn speed

I've recently moved house and have a new nbn connection. The connection is incredibly slow, much slower than the optus adsl2 I had in the previous house. At best I get 10Mbps up and never get higher than 1 Mbps up.

Have tried restarting, resetting, taking all but one thing off the network...it had no impact. Speeds are atrocious! Help!
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Awful nbn speed

What NBN tech? FTTN?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

If you have this modem then it sounds like your NBN connection is not active or is down and you are running off the 4G backup.

Q: How do I know when my Optus Ultra WiFi modem has switched to 4G back up mode? 

A: The Optus Ultra WiFi modem has a Network and Signal light indicator. When the modem is in 4G back up mode, the Network indicator will light up. The Signal indicator will display the strength of your 4G signal.  

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for the quick response! I'm running the Sagecom 5366 TN. No 4G backup.
https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Broadband-Telephony/New-Optus-supplied-modem-Sagemcom-5366TN/td-p/5...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for the quick response! I'm running the Sagecom 5366 TN.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Assuming that you have done your speed test via LAN and not wifi then there is not much else you can do except contact Optus directly and have them investigate.

If you have FTTC/FTTP/HFC the only other test you could do is to try and rule out a faulty modem (unlikely) and connect directly into the NBN box or use any other router.

Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

What NBN tech? FTTN?

Do you have a seperate NBN box?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Yep, seperate box. FTTN.
Sagecom 5366 TN.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

It could just be a bad FTTN line. Optus should provide you with a to rated speed. As suggested just plug straight into the NBN modem for testing
Alternatively, Optus have you locked on 12mbps plan and need to bump you to 50 or higher. You should be paying less for a 12 Mbps plan and are due a refund if you request it for past months.
The fact you can get to 11 but never over strongly suggests your line is being limited by optus.