Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
DiamondDog
New Contributor
New Contributor

Asus DSL-AX5400 Firmware

Hi,

The Optus Asus DSL-AX5400 does not appear as a specific model on the Asus website - the closest match is the DSL-AX82U, which looks identical, same specs etc. (the previous firmware version is even the same no.).   Assume the DSL-AX5400 is same, just has the Optus tweaked firmware?

How can I get a specific firmware download for the Optus version of the DSL-AX5400 ?   (I can see the DSL-AX82U has had recent security updates etc.).  OR can I use the Asus version?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jack_YC

Re: Asus DSL-AX5400 Firmware

Hi @Diaminddog, thanks for reaching out. Your modem should update when a new firmware version is available. It's a good idea to occasionally power cycle your modem as this can often force the modem to update to the latest version. 

If you have any other questions about your service, I recommend messaging our Technical team via the My Optus App. They'll be able to assist from there. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
AndS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@DiamondDogUnfortunately you bought an ASUS modem with Optus approved firmware in it that can only be updated with future Optus approved firmware.  This is why you cannot find it....

You may be able to find a method to root the device and install the official ASUS firmware, BUT this would invalidate your warranty as it has unapproved firmware on it from Optus's perspective.

I would be asking these questions on whirlpool as this is were the hard core technical people with the skills will be able to help or answer your questions.

I was considering getting one, but as it was branded Optus I gave it a miss as the firmware will have options/settings/features removed as requested by Optus, which happens with the vast majority of Optus branded hardware.

0 Kudos
DiamondDog
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

From what I can see in the firmware, it still looks very vanilla, i.e. no Optus branding, or even mention of Optus in any of the settings (also looks like all options are present), which is hopefully positive.

It was also not provided pre-configured to use as a 'modem'  (i.e. a separate NBN FTTC Adtran unit was provided for WAN).

So far happy with the unit. Hopefully the firmware updates stay current.

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@DiamondDog wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

From what I can see in the firmware, it still looks very vanilla, i.e. no Optus branding, or even mention of Optus in any of the settings (also looks like all options are present), which is hopefully positive.

It looks vanilla but its not. There are some subtle and no-so-subtle changes. Check out the whirlpool thread starting from about here .

Top Contributors