Searching...

Are you using Ethernet wired connection?

[ Edited ]
ZAZ

If not why not?

Optus would have you believe that all this nbn speed debacle is the roadblock around your house from using wifi especially in thec 23 channel  2g band.

seen many laptops around these days with ethernet socket?

ipads brother printers, casting google boxes?

new MACS

Direct connection....

optus do not  like doing tests unless you have a direct connection to your modem, there are cables to do this in the box.

They say wifi is a convenience thing and will suffer congestion.

my ethernet speed is just fine.

only slows on weekends to 28/48 acceptable,

WIFI 2g ( white modem)

wifi different matter 

further away from modem which has no external antenna slower the speed.

20 metres down  to 24/14

optus say interference in house and neighbors will interfere and cause congestion on the 23 ch 2 g band.

5g better but less  range.

(black fetch modem) 

to get good speed suggestion is plug computers into thevfour LAN ports on your modem 

just dont trip over the wires ok?

so if you are not using ethernet why not?

limit is four cables but any more you need to buy a switch box.

please type answers below and share experiences with optus and any other slowcor fast isp.

Re: Are you using Ethernet wired connection?

SillyGogo

hmm, there are many factors in what you are saying. ..

here are some of the things i've picked out.

Internet speeds depends on 

1. The speed going into your home. 

2. The speed of the modem to dish it out to your devices

3. The connections (wire or wireless)

4. The devices itself able to utilise the speed. 

It is fair for Optus to test the speed to rule out issue from 1 and 2 above. From what you are saying the speed from the street and wire from your modem is fine. That leave the issue to be the wifi, either from the modem dishing it out or the wifi environment. The 2g modem as you describe might not be suffient for your environment or need. It is a standard and basic modem. It can suffer from busy wifi congestion in your area or not able to handle alot of devices. 

I am not sure how many devices or how congested the wifi your enviroment is. I also acknowledge what not all devices have a direct wire connection or convience to have a wire following you around your home. 

For me, I have alot devices and semi busy wifi neighbourhood. I've tried the AC modem with both 5Gh and 2.4Gh band for more devices support and reduce congestions. It does the job to a certain extend. I then add in wire connections to the room where there are high internet usage and put in extra access points. Improves the wifi experience but the create its own wifi congestion from too many access point. Next I got into the Mesh network where, an improved version of multi AP, works great. To make thing even better, I got my own modem with faster routing and wifi that supports mesh network like the ASUS modem. With 1 Asus acting as the modem and the second one as the mesh node, I have full wifi coverage at full speed around the house. 

So after all that, my suggestion is look around your wifi environment and see if congestion is the issue, use a wired connection where possible and get a high performance wifi modem. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted

ZAZ

great response.

The issue is identified as interference and depending how far you move from the AP you move into other wifi signals using same channel.

we are all forced to use the optus modem if we wish voip on our old phone number.

otherwise I would not have bothered using the replacement modems one white and one black.

with luck optus will one day supply a diversity modem like the asus.

I have four devices on wired, an ap 5 g point using an edimax wired to the optus modem.

worst speed in 28/14

I am 750 metres from the node no faults found  but do see copper being rolled out in the town.

thanks for tips.

SillyGogo

thank you for the update, I hear your frustration and agree, maybe one day optus can give us the options of having different level of modem or even better open the option for byo modem. Ofcourse, might only provide limited or no support for Byo devices. 

If you are keen then you can either use the BYO modem as the main modem then connect the optus modem for VOIP.

Looks like you have a good solution in place with the extra 5G access point. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

ZAZ

agree on your last,

just use the optus modem as an inport and ethernet off to everything else.

the edimax extender works well we have two.

one gets switched on only when we watch netflix using a google casting box.

the other does what it is supposed tondo fill black holes.

I disagree with optus asking me to delve into their so called fast modem and manually select channels.

I thought their frequency agility allows them to avoid as we say in the trade QRM 

obviously not,  can but imagine what its like living in the cbd 50 floors up interference QRM would be amazing.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
69 Kudos
28 Kudos
27 Kudos
26 Kudos
17 Kudos