Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Xootr
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Archer VR300

Oh I’ve been using the Optus modem but it got zapped in an electrical storm.

This is just a replacement while waiting for Optus to send a new modem.
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

This is just a replacement while waiting for Optus to send a new modem.

Ah, I forgot you said that. In that case you can try the following:

1) Connect VR300 DLS port ta wall socket via phone cable.

2) In VR300 set:

ISP = other

DSL modulation = VDSL

WAN Connection Type = Dynamic IP

Should be roughly page 13 in  User Guide .

3) In the WAN section somewhere there should be an option to set/change the MAC address of the VR300 . There, you need to put in the MAC address of the original Optus modem, which can be found on the sticker on the Optus modem.

As far as I can tell It should then work after a reboot.

0 Kudos
Xootr
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Fantastic! I’ll let you know how I go 🙂
0 Kudos
Xootr
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Lol so the new modem arrived and it wouldn’t work either. Turns out it was the phone line only working intermittently. Must have worked for the NBN Tech but then on & off.

So replaced line with new one and seems stable so far. I’m not game to test the AC1200 at this stage but I will get around to it.

0 Kudos
newline
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

I can assure you that there is no need to change the MAC address. All you need to do is first connect the Optus modem and, once everything is OK, you can use any (NBN-compatible) modem. @Xootr has already used an Optus modem, so the VR should be fine.

Probably wisest to factory reset the VR before connecting, and it should, automatically, connect.

YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@newline wrote:

I can assure you that there is no need to change the MAC address.

Thanks for the clarification. I was going by the info in the Whirlpool knowledgebase

newline
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Whirlpool should be corrected. I believe the 'error' arose from those who first connected to Optus NBN with a third-party modem and found that they had issues (I think that their NBN port was locked as a result). Optus have made it clear that their modem should be connected first to establish the connection to them. Once established, any other (NBN-compatible) device can be used.

If you have a 'better' modem/router, the only reason to be forced to keep using the Optus Sagemcom is if you require an Optus VOIP connection.

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@newline wrote:

If you have a 'better' modem/router, the only reason to be forced to keep using the Optus Sagemcom is if you require an Optus VOIP connection.

Unless your lucky enough to have had the old F@ST 3864 at some point to be able extract the SIP credentials from it, then you can use your own ATA/VoIP device :- like me 😀 .

0 Kudos
Xootr
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

As a final post the VR300 is working fine. The solution is plug it in AFTER your Optus modem has been working.

On the Internet Connection Setup page:

ISP list = Other
VLAN ID = Not Enabled
Internet Connection Type = Dynamic IP

FYI It is not any faster than the Optus supplied modem.

As an odd aside the Nighthawk XR500 wireless router I use for the wireless feed does not see the internet when connected via Ethernet to the tp-link. The PC is fine but not the Nighthawk.
newline
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Not surprised that it is no faster - many/most of the modems using the Broadcom chip(set) probably use the same motherboard (which was probably per Broadcom's design) and manufactured in the same Chinese factory.

If the Nighthawk has an access point mode, try that.

Thanks for posting a success.

0 Kudos