Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Tortfeasor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Appalling customer service during NBN activation; any suggestions?

@Hannah-L no change. I reboot the modem at least once a day. I don't know how often I can reiterate that the only way to resolve the problem seems to be for an NBN technician to attend (and, like, actually turn up).

As an aside, the Optus staff member who took my matter up as a result of the intervention of the PM's office has also stopped responding to email, which is annoying (but probably should not be suprising).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator Hannah-L
RetiredModerator

Thanks for confirming. I've gone back to them advising there's still no downstream signal and requested they send a QA out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor Rafferty
Contributor

mmmm....not sure why you are so desparate to sign up with an NBN service provider that cannot deliver advertised speeds and has regular drop outs.  Best way forward you ask? - Maybe another provider?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Truly, I have now entered a new circle of hell.

The office of the Prime Minister got involved. This enthused NBN to set the missed appointment. When I went back to the PM's office, they went back to NBN co who made a new appointment - which Optus knew about, but didn't tell me. I found out because I went to an NBN exec.

Yesterday, a technician came, and the immediate NBN connection was activated within 30 minutes - but it required Optus to activate the service. I have today spent over two hours on two of the most frustrating calls I have ever experienced. One person, when I told her "Presumably you will need the MAC address for the modem," said "we already have it it is unit x of x street, Sydney". As in, literally didn't know that a MAC address is a network identifier. So, when she claimed to have activated the account and nothing happened, I was not surprised. Nor was I surprised when she said she would put me through to the technical help team, which she did - for ADSL support.

I honestly cannot fathom the depths of Optus' incompetence. It genuinely beggars belief.

Moderators, for the love of God, please can you at least tell me who I can speak to that will even understand this issue?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

More updates, more incompetency.

Reminder: Thursday, a new NBN technician came, seven weeks after the first one. The activation of the NTD is successful within 15 minutes, as I'd always said it would be. I call Optus the following morning when the connection still isn't working. They tell me that NBN haven't completed the order yet. I go to the NBN executive I have been dealing with. On Friday night, an NBN engineer calls me and confirms that he can see that the connection is in fact active (he can see my MAC on the network), and offers (!) to come to my place on a Saturday to resolve the issue. Since I now know that Optus are the problem, I call Optus, got a woman who thought a MAC address was my home address, then put me through to the ADSL support department, and give up because it's after 7pm and I am sick of it for the day.

So, Saturday morning the NBN engineer turns up, confirms the NBN connection is active, checks the levels, confirms both the NBN modem and the Optus modem are pulling an IP address but no data, so he says "let's call Optus and get this sorted".

First call to Optus. Operator doesn't know what's going on, initially tells me NBN needs to do its bit. Is even more confused when I tell him, "I have the NBN engineer standing right next to me, here, talk to him.". Optus operator eventually says "I'll have to put you through to our technical service department." The call is put through to a billing menu with no option to go back to technical support. 20 minutes wasted.

Second call to Optus. Optus person doesn't know what's going on again. Says she'll put me through to the technical support area. Instead, she simply hangs up the call. Another 20 minutes wasted.

Third call to Optus. I am incredibly frustrated, I ask to be put through to a supervisor. We wait for 45 minutes before we eventually speak to one. She seems to have at least some competency, though I am not necessarily convinced she knew what the issue was. The NBN engineer explains it for the third time that day, tells her he doesn't want to be "connected" to technical support again, because we'll be disconnected - asks her to direct-connect us. Eventually, after another 30 minutes or so on hold, she comes back and tells us that the AvC number (which is a reference connecting the Optus service order and the NBN order number) has been updated. Says she'll call me back in a couple of hours, by which time the issue should be resolved.

Couple of hours later, miraculously, she does actually call me - but I missed it because I was on the other side of the room and wasn't fast enough. She sends me a text message which says "Hi.We are unable to get connection for your NBN.This has been escalated.Please allow 24-48hrs for us to fix the problem. Your ref # is XXXXX. - Optus, JM" [obviously, I've redacted the reference number].

Given the history of this, I do not believe anybody in Optus will look at this. The guy in Optus head office supposedly looking after my case hasn't answered an email in two weeks.

So, in summary: I was right when I said an NBN technican would resolve the issue, but Optus' abject incompetency has led to yet more delays. I guarantee that the issue now is that someone simply needs to link the MAC address of my new NTD with my Optus account.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor Jonathan-Stagg
New Contributor

I didn’t think any telco could be worse than Telstra, but congratulations optus, you’re certainly giving it your best shot. Utterly woeful service

0 Kudos