cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Appalling customer service during NBN activation; any suggestions?

Almost a month after my initial order, I am still without NBN access. I am, it has to be said, not confident that any progress is being made. But the purpose of this post is largely to share the appalling customer experience I've endured with Optus specifically in the continuing battle to just have the NBN activated.

Notwithstanding it doesn't directly relate to my NBN activation, my personal favourite poor customer service moment was a relatively heated argument I had with an Optus staff member about how many powerline networking adapters I would need: I received only one, notwithstanding the website, my order confirmation, and logic dicate that I clearly need at least two. At first she insisted that I had only ordered one (I offered to send screenshots of their website which clearly describes it as a "twin pack", or to forward her my order confirmation email which says the same thing), then she told me that everything was wireless and therefore I didn't need any at all (notwithstanding their website even goes as far as to recommend them... and it is neither here nor there that you think I don't need one - I ordered it), and when I insisted to be put through to a manager she declined but instead eventually told me that the only option was to charge me for a second adapter, but to apply some kind of adjustment to my account (I am willing to bet that it won't work, but time and my pending bill will tell).

But back to the NBN activation saga. At least three separate Optus representatives have at various times undertaken to follow up with me in relation to my outstanding activation request; not only have none of them ever actually followed up, at least one representative apparently lied in order to make it look like they had. Last week, when I called because I had heard nothing, I was told by one representative that I had been called by another representative that very morning - the note apparently recorded a conversation I had with them. It isn't as though there could've been a mistake - they invariably seek my name, date of birth, and the install address. So, no conversation ever having taken place, that note can only be regarded as dishonest. I guess they wanted to look like they were working hard?

That representative said to call back the following day (Friday) if the service was not activated. Unfortunately I got busy so I had to wait until today (Monday) to follow up.

Today, after being hung up on in one call to Optus (after 35 minutes, I might add), in my second call I eventually received the  advice that I would "just have to wait", but I could "rest assured that I would receive an SMS from NBNCo when my service was activated". Because, clearly, the thing that was really concerning me was that I would suddenly be activated and not know about it. Rather than, I don't know, the fact I have no working internet at the moment. On that front, I was told that the only thing I could do was wait; there was no way of contacting the Optus NBN activation team, nothing else I could do, and no estimate that could be given about when activation would occur.

Going back a bit further, two days before my NBN install date, I followed up with Optus because I had not yet received the Optus modem. I was specifically assured it would arrive before the NBN install (it obviously needs to - without it, you don't actually have any access). It did not arrive in advance of the install, so I followed up the morning the NBN technician was there, and was told by Optus it had not even been sent yet, that there had been a shortage of modems, but that one would be sent to me within three business days. I eventually received it the following week (after multiple attempts and a number of phone calls; I have no idea why a modem can't simply be left at the post office like every other missed postal item ever).

But the fact I eventually finally received the modem kind of doesn't matter because my service still has not been activated, several weeks later.

I even went to the lengths of calling NBNCo directly to establish whether Optus were in fact following up. NBNCo's call centre was certainly more friendly than Optus', although ultimately I was told that it was necessary for Optus to negotiate my NBN activation on my behalf, which rendered the call to NBNCo no more helpful than Optus. The issue is apparently simply NBN activating the service - the NBN installer on the day eventually had to leave when it had not yet been activated after 30 minutes of him talking to them on the phone, even though he could clearly see the network on his testing equipment (and the line was in use for another cable service).

So an overall appalling experience. I'd be grateful for any input from people who might be able to suggest a way forward; I am not at all confident that Optus are actually pressing the case with NBN, given the issues I've set out above and the time that has so far elapsed.

35 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Appalling customer service during NBN activation; any suggestions?

@Tortfeasor

To be honest,   change providers as it wont get any better.  If you look though the threads on here you will see that not only do you have to deal with the underlying nbn issues but getting those looked at is compounded by the amount of rubbish you have to deal with via this companies customer service people.  they are activly allowing customers to break contracts with no penality because they cant provide the service purchased.

Reading your post i assume you are connected to hfc cable.    Be aware that any previous speeds you might have had prior will not be seen via optus.  The fact that this company provides limited bandwidth for existing customer base and still knowingly advertises  for more customers .  This speaks volumes as to their modus operandi as a business.   It just compounds an already huge problem where Optus does not provide the bandwidth you purchase.  

I had a FTTH NBN connection connected within 2hrs of hitting an online application.   I was using that connection.  Thats how provisioning is ment to work.

Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

@Tortfeasor I can check the notes in your connection if you like? It definitely shouldn't be this difficult to get connected. Feel free to send me a private message with your order number, full name and DOB

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Just in case anybody thinks moderator intervention immediately solved this, unfortunately it did not. Here's the content of the eventual PM response to me:

Thanks, so your order is definitely still pending. I can see the back and forth we've had with NBN to get this resolved. They advise that they are working with HFC Activations and will provide an update asap. The last note was left 3 days ago so I have sent another message asking if any progress has been made in this time.

I'm afraid it's a bit of a waiting game until the network is fixed, feel free to shoot us a message any time you need an update. I've made notes of your reference numbers so any moderator here can check up on it.

Not that I'm not somewhat grateful for the moderator attention (especially since it goes a little way to addressing my major point, which is that Optus have been utterly hopeless at communicating), but obviously this is not actual "progress". Which, after three weeks of an NBN connection just sitting there in my living room, inexplicably without a connection, remains intensely frustrating.

Nobody has at any stage explained why, for an HFC cable that can see the network, it is not trivial to convince the modem to communicate with the network.

Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Sorry if I got your hopes up for an instant fix @Tortfeasor, issues like these are handled by specific technical teams. Moderators on this forum are here to educate and help as much as possible, but some issues are going to need special attention that I'm afraid we can't always provide. 

Your order has a notes section which we refer to for information. Unfortunately a clear explanation of the issue is not listed. The first note on 13/06 advised NBN could not detect the Arris NTD, so we provided the details such as MAC address, serial number etc. Since then we have been requesting updates to be told NBN are still working with the HFC activation team to get this fixed.

Since my last update request, they have said your case is being escalated to Higher Management of HFC. Another update was requested last night and we are still waiting for a response.

I'm sorry I can't offer all the answers you're looking for, but I can assure you we are doing everything we can to get you up and running asap.

Please let me know if you have any questions. My offer to PM any time for an update still stands.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Quit while you are ahead. I have been waiting since the 12th of May for Internet. Now with everything fitted I am told it's an NBN problem. I'm still without internet. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I also struggled to get my NBN service activated.

NBN was able to activate my line remotely on the day they said they would.

My modem was showing that I was connected to the NBN network but no internet.

The fault was with Optus themselves not activating the line. I've called everyday for a week and eventually got my line activated on the Friday evening after work.

Customer service was very average during that time except for that last bloke that actually got me connected and actually called me back at the time he said he would. Shame I had to become nasty to get things going but was getting sick of hearing "will be activated within the next 24 hours" when nothing was being done about it.

Now enjoying 95mbps, however latency on NBN is terrible compared to ADSL2.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Now that's the only "good " news I have heard anywhere on this forum. Just the fact that you did get connected.  I'm in the same boat. .6 weeks to get the NBN box fitted and a week now and they keep blaming NBN. How come the NBN box shows all lights on and the Optus modem says I am connected but cannot get on line.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @Chunnybh ,that's definitely not good to hear and we're really sorry it didn't work out the way it should 😞 I can see you have spoken to our NBN activation team and they have discussed the delay with you. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

HI @djihaif, I am glad your NBN is working but please do contact our techs on 131344 to discuss your latency concerns. 

0 Kudos