Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Appalling customer service during NBN activation; any suggestions?

Update: there is still no update. No progress at all, a full five weeks after the initial order was placed.

I called Optus again today because I am apparently a masochist and the last communication I received from Optus were the moderator replies above. Those replies, whilst not entirely without value, obviously did not progress my case at all.

In today's call I was told, for literally the tenth time, that all I could do was wait, and that the matter had been "escalated". The last note on my file apparently asked the NBN for an update on 29 June (today being 4 July) and no update had apparently been forthcoming from NBN Co - which presumably also means that nobody at Optus had followed up, unfortunately.

Given that this case was supposedly escalated several weeks ago, and there has not only been no progress, but not even a useful description of what the problem is, I asked for an NBN technician to be ordered. I was told that it was not possible for an NBN technician to be ordered "because this is something that depends on certain things between NBN and in Optus" (sic). When I asked to be put through to someone who could in fact order a technician, I was told that the best that could be done is for the person on the phone to call me back.

This is, dear reader, not the first time I have been promised a call-back from a phone operator at Optus, and I have never once been called back, so I do not hold out any hope on that score. Tomorrow, if I have not received a phone call, I think I'll simply lodge a Telecommuncations Industry Ombudsman complaint, to see whether that enthuses someone to grapple with my case on more than a superficial level. It is an unfortunate state of affairs that without that step, everybody simply appears to be glossing over the case.

This is all the more frustrating given it is patently a solution to the problem to have an NBN technician attend. Either there is a problem with the line, which they will detect and hopefully be able to resolve, or the line is ok - but the technician will presumably be able to enthuse NBN Co into actually activating the line.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yesterday I said "This is, dear reader, not the first time I have been promised a call-back from a phone operator at Optus, and I have never once been called back, so I do not hold out any hope on that score."

Nobody called me back.

I do not exaggerate when I say at least four separate operators have promised me a call (at least one actually used the words "I promise I will call you") and none have followed through. On this particular occasion, the operator said that he would call me before the end of the day, regardless of whether the NBN got back to him or not. Even doing my best to give Optus the benefit of the doubt, I cannot think but that the promise to call back is simply a way for operators to get callers off the phone without making any additional progress.

Which is to say, it has happened with such regularity that I can only conclude it is an actual strategy used by call centre staff; which is the same as saying I think it is active dishonesty.

I am in the process of lodging the TIO complaint as we speak; given that Optus cannot follow through with basic promises like calling me back, surely I must be forgiven if I do not believe they have done anything about my case in the last four weeks. I have done my best to be as neutral as possible, for fear of seeming unreasonable (although I suppose my title belies a fairly high level of fustration).

Nevertheless, I have now reached the conclusion that consumers genuinely ought to avoid Optus as an RSP.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

So it has now been more than a month since my activation saga began, and there has still been zero progress. I have lodged a TIO complaint. Going to the media like this guy seems to be the way forward.

Last week (I am not exaggerating here) in one call I spent 20 minutes insisting to a staff member that I wanted to speak to a supervisor; her reluctance to do so bordered on being insulting. Eventually, I got to a supervisor (after a full hour on the phone, including 20 minutes on hold once I finally convinced the staff member to forward me). The supervisor did not offer any further assistance, except that she did apparently speak to her staff about the fact that I had never, ever, received a call back from any Optus staff. The result was that I was called back three times in one day and read the same email which NBN was said to have sent to Optus (the original email, it has to be said, was in barely-comprehensible English, which does not bode well).

I am still yet to have anybody explain why a technician can't be ordered, or why this is not literally a trivial exercise in activation. I do not expect much will come of the TIO complaint, either.

It is impossible to express how frustrating the whole experience has been.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I would go to another carrier - I'm seriously considering it after all the issues I've had with my Optus Install. When you do get it installed, the modem's wifi connection is atrocious - I barely get 3mbps out of a promised 50. It only hits 50 if you plug in a ethernet cable - so all of my laptops, Tablets and smartphones are struggling on slow speeds. And as for the callbacks? I was promised a call back on Saturday morning for 530pm. I foolishly thought same day but it seems it must be for some distant Saturday in the future. The moderators in all of my dealings have not been able to help - it appears to be token service to try and reduce any heat. I haven't heard back from the moderator looking at my wifi issue since yesterday.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I am going through the exact same experience. I can see quite clearly that my modems are working, but Optus is yet to activate the service and no matter how many people I talk to I can't seem to make them understand that all they need to do is activate the service. I am 99% confident that my modems are working just fine. I have been promised calls back that were never received, and hung up on after waiting on hold or in queues. Each person I speak with tells me it will be fixed in 48 hours, and then nothing changes. One gentleman actually went as far as to tell me to stop calling, as my complaint as been acknowledged and they will get to it as soon as they can. Your story is not giving me much hope of seeing any genuine change anytime soon.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

At the risk of sounding like the Four Yorkshiremen Monty Python skit: I dream of being at the point where the modems are working.

In my case, it's that I am stuck in a purgatory where I cannot contact NBN directly to get them to do their bit, and Optus as the RSP is doing a spectacularly bad job of negotiating the NBN activation process on my behalf (well, I actually infer they're not doing much of anything at all).

But that of course should not detract from your frustration, which sounds completely legitimate. In the end, I recommend insisting on speaking to a supervisor. The initial call-centre operator will resist (I infer it reflects badly on them); they will claim that no supervisor is available; they will tell you that the supervisor will tell you the same thing they are telling you; they will leave you on hold for an inordinate amount of time - but if you politely but firmly say "I will not take no for an answer - please put me through to a supervisor", sooner or later they'll give in. At least you will see a small amount of progress.

In my case that small amount of progress was a flurry of phone calls last Thursday, but nothing since then.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

It's a shame to hear you've gone to the TIO about this @Tortfeasor, once we've received the details from the TIO a Case Manger will be in touch with-in 10 business days. Please keep us posted.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hey @sfrancis - we’re sorry for the delay. If you’d like to chat to one of our team members now, please go here: http://yesopt.us/chat2us.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted

They're definitely not the best results @bobby_slogger. Am I able to confirm if this is something that you've raised with our tech guys on 131344 so that it can be investigated?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

yes @Aman_B, it was raised on the weekend and I was promised a call back same day (nothing yet). I then raised a seperate post and have received no reply since Sunday and you are now the 3rd person , I know this will get no where and my Optus TIO resolution person has gone AWOL and has an out of office message over a week old.  

0 Kudos