Searching...
Accepted Solution

Alternative modem to the F@ST3864AC or can I flash it with 3rd party firware

DomBrown

Ok, since signing up with optus NBN I have discovered that the  F@ST3864AC modem/router is pretty much useless for anyone that wants more from it as firmware is crippled I cant put the device into bridge mode which is what I need to do to use a proper router setup for my home/office network. Basically I just want it in modem only mode - lanline telephone is not used or needed in my house so I dont use the Telephony part on my NBN at all;

My questions are:

1. It there an alternative modem I can purchase or request from Optus that allows me to put into bridge/modem only mode?

2. Or can I flash the F@ST3864AC modem/router with 3rd part firmware.

I am assuming the later will not be an option. Can anyone shed on light on this matter?

Thanks 

-dom

Re: Alternative modem to the F@ST3864AC or can I flash it with 3rd party firware

GJC

I scrapped the crap Optus routers completely and bought one of these: https://www.asus.com/au/Networking/RTAC68U/

Plugged it in, just started working, haven't looked back. I've gone from having constant drop-outs and router reboots to zero issues since getting the RT-AC68U router. Now I only have to deal with the slow NBN offering from Optus.

Disclaimer: I can't use the VoIP line now but it went down every other day anyway so we weren't using it.

Re: Alternative modem to the F@ST3864AC or can I flash it with 3rd party firware

petergdownload

If you're not interested in a landline phone then just plug any modem in.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

DomBrown

Nice! and fair enough. So I can just plugin my prefered (nbn compatible) modem/router enter my "optus credentials" and it will automatically configure to optus NBN then I configure it for bridge mode and voila! Something tells me this isn't the case. I was under the impression that the modem hardware/firmware might be an issue?

Loving the thought I can buy something off the shelf. What modems would you recomend? 

-dom

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Hi Dom,

Basically the Optus NBN gets connected to your home by plugging in and setting up the Optus modem. After that you can unplug the Optus modem and plug in any other modem. See here for some FTTN instructions. What NBN technology are you?

You usually plug the ethernet cable from the wall / NBN supplied HFC router into the WAN port of your modem. After that just set the new mode up how you like. The only main issue is that Optus do not share their VOIP settings so if you want a home land line then you must use the Optus supplied modem.

Personally I just bought two ASUS RT-AC68U routers (I have HFC Cable NBN and FTTP NBN, both of which come with their own boxes) So I just plug the cable from the NBN box into the WAN port and I'm good to go. The nice thing about these modems is they have a new MESH mode which essentially means they automatically sync up into a single wifi zone around the house.

If you have FTTN then you'd need a modem for that technology so the ASUS DSL-AC68U would be the go. You only need one of these as the main and any others could be the other model above.

[Edit] See this and this post on avaoiding port locking on some non NBN DSL modems

[Edit2] Seems on the DSL model I suggested the issue is probably now fixed with a FW update.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

DomBrown

Thank you Peter. My connection is unfortunatley a FTTN option. 

My pfreference is to find a modem only option as I want to use a built router using untangle as the router operating system and to use the modem as the external connection say NIC 1 and feed a sperate switch for my internal LAN on NIC 2.

The modem/router/WiFi solutions are pretty much overkill for me as I will be turning off wifi and routing features on them. Does a modem only option even exist these days if so ant brands you have in mind?

Your input is very apreciated. 

Thanks 

-dom 

Solution

petergdownload

Untangled seems like overkill for a home solution?

If you want to play then have at it, but for me the modem feeding off the NBN is just a device to send data back and forth. If you have no use for wifi then just turn that off. You can also turn off routing options but esentially the base modem just routes one thing: All your devices => internet => all your devices.

Which ever modem you get it will need to be a NBN DSL compatible. The telephone cable plugs into your modem. After that you have 4 or more ethernet ports to distribute the signal around your house. Essentially its a switch (like a 4x powerboard just sending electricty where its needed). Completely agnostic and just shuffling data.

You're obviously network savy so I can't say why you need more control over the process than that. 

Your core question of 'Do I need to use the Optus modem?' is no. I don't think a modem only option exists, but that's a bit like asking can I buy a car without a radio. Turn off what you don't need.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

DomBrown

The use of untangle in home that has two teenagers, I want to lock/protect them and my home network which has business funtions sometimes essentially a small home office.

I have already used in the (adsl) days, a netgeatr R7000 and still have it used with a small modem set in bridge mode and the nighthawk as the router. My plan is to use this now a WAP centralized in the home to provide wifi covererage for wifi capable devices in the home i.e. tablets and phones. The reason I say overkill is not only for the wifi and routing etc its the cost of them a modem only would be far cheaper. However, it appears I will indeed need to buy and turn off the features. I cant even use the wifi on these as another AP because if the IP to device will not work correctly. 

My setup is:

Windows server 2016 Essentials and this currently provides DHCP and DNS to various operating systems from Windows,  Linux (dev box's) and Mac OSX machines sprinkeled with iOS and Android devices.

Anyway thank you again Peter I'll bite the bullet and purchase a new device.

Cheers  - its beer o'clock for me now.  x;0)

-dom

jonnos

Hey Dom

My 2cents worth...

I am just new to Optus and the joys of the quality F@ST3864AC (not) so reading some post on issues..

I am going to turn everything on the F@ST3864AC off - and just use it for the modem / router.  Which I think you are going to do as well

My recommendation to purchase a router that is supported by OpenWRT.  You can find something that will do the job you are after for less than $60.  And if you want to do some of the clever things - update the firmware with that from the project.

cheers, Jon

Peterwelly

Hi Peter, I appear to be in a similar predicament.

I have heard though, as I still use the landline function of my optus modem, that getting a better quality Modem/Router, plugging it into the wall, then plug the optus modem into the LAN1 port of the new modem/router. I then plug the phone into the phone port of the Optus router and disable the wifi.

Do you think this would still allow the phone to function?

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
103 Kudos
36 Kudos
31 Kudos
14 Kudos
13 Kudos