Searching...
Accepted Solution

Alternate modems/routers

Daithi

My Optus provided modem isn't coping with the ever increasing WIFI needs of a family of 4 with  approvimately 16 devices trying to access the same network.  

I asked Optus about alternatives that would work with their service and their offerings were even sadder than the provided modem.

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/extras/Approved-Equipment-List

Has anyone tried/succeeded/had horrible failures trying to connect other routers to Optus NBN?

NB Need a solution that works with FTTN and provides phone service.

Thanks

Re: Alternate modems/routers

SamSam

The bad news is if you want the home phone service to work, you need to use Optus' modem. Optus could allow you to use a 3rd party modem/router and have the home phone service work but they decided not to. 

The good news is, you can plug a router into the modem to provide your home with WiFi while the modem still supplied the home phone service. It just means 2 devices will be running so some extra power consumption.

I've been doing my own research on routers for myself so while I haven't used it myself, all of the reviews in terms of performance, ease of use and price were really good for the Asus RT-AC68U so I'll be purchasing that. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own

SillyGogo

4 with 16 devices .... great multitaskers. 

What do mean by not coping? Is it slow speed when everyone is online, if so then what is your service's speed? Is it devices are not able to connect when everyone is online? If so then a new modem/router might helps. Saying that we have near 20 devices connect with no issue on the sagemAC modem.  

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Daithi

TV, computers,  game consoles,  tablets and phones. Serval will be on even if they aren't in active use at the time.  And kids will be in their phones even as they use other devices. 

Generally I get complaints that "The Internet isn't working".  I am pretty sure that 95% of the time this is lost or failed wifi connections as connections working at the time give good speeds.

SillyGogo

My recommendation is connect anything that is possible by wire by the lan cable. This will free up your wifi bandwidth. If your modem has both 2.4 and 5ghz radio then connect all 5ghz devices via the 5ghz, this will free up the 2.4ghz bandwidth. 

What is the layout of your home? Single level, multi level etc? how far is the devices to the modem? 

If you need the home phone then the proper way is to have both the optus modem and a new modem/router going. For me I have a second router in bridge mode. The optus modem servicing one end of the house. A long ethernet cable runing to the other end of the house and connect to the second router. 

Another option is using the Mesh network if you don't want to run cables. I've tried the Google WIFI, works great with 3 devices around the house but it doesn't support bridge mode. 

Back to your original question of which modem to get. Well, it is all depends on your budget. The Asus as per @SamSam is a good all rounder, tones of features at a great price. TP link is another option if you don't want to spend as much. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Daithi

Thanks

Layout is about as far from ideal as I can get!  2 story house.  Modem has to be in the kitchen because that's where the phone port is.  Not an ideal location for computer or printer! 3 phase power so powerline adaptors arent a great option.  

Looking at some routers to bridge to.  My nbn contract is up in January so I might have a conversation with Optus about upgrading me to the AC if they want to keep my business...

Solution

[ Edited ]
SillyGogo

Do you own your home and will you be there for a long time? If so, maybe consider getting your home wired up with ethernet to each room or at least to the common area. Having so many devices on a single wifi router would be a struggle. I would look for one with MU-MINO, this will allow better services. The Sagem AC will not give you the range or bandwidth for so many wifi only devices. 

A mess network like 

https://store.google.com/product/google_wifi or 

http://www.netgear.com.au/orbi/ or

http://www.tp-link.com.au/home-networking/deco/

might be an option, but they are not cheap. 

Another option is Wifi extenders/boosters . They will increase the range and give you a more stable connections however, the speed might drop a little depending on the stabliity of the link between the modem and the extender. 

My experience at my place also a 2 storey home:

Wifi extender, slow

Powerline adaptor : stable but slow ( i was using the AV type, i think the AV2 is much faster)

Mess Google Home, Great, but because it does not support Bridge mode, it separated my wired and wireless network.

Wireless routers with ethernet as the backbone. the BEST!!! But don't put too many wireless routers as it will overcrowd the wifi chanel. I find 1-2 per level is a good balance.

SuzieG

Hi there.  New to this forum but interested in your post, and amused by your summation of the situation.  Did you resolve this issue?  We have had constant problems since switching to an NBN plan and after over four months, the Optus solution is to switch to a third-party modem/router.  We have been told this will mean we will lose our landline, but we also have Fetch TV and we want to know if we will lose this also?  If anyone knows the answer, we would welcome your input.  Thanks

SuzieG

SamSam, we tried that route with a Netgear Nighthawk wifi router, but it didn't work as the Optus modem/router was blocking access nu the Netgear router.  We spent four hours on the phone with Netgear support but could not manage to solve the issue. So now we are looking at using a third-party router and losing our landline and want to know if we will also lose our Fetch TV service.  It's a minfield and we are losing the will to live!!!!

homedad77

that depends on what bundle you have... and what plan they will be transferring you to. Fetch is normally an extra fee with the plans they have. optus wont be giving you any freebies just coz you have a slow connection. and its a bit broad if you describe it as constant problems. If its got to do with wifi range... then there are alternatives for that as you can see from the previous posts. but if its the modem/router itself rebooting on its own every so and so minutes or blinking the colours of the rainbow... then yeh... you might need to replace that modem. it all comes down to... ur budget. if you find yourself paying extra on this deal... and if its for something that could have been rectified for lesser amount of money... id say read up on other articles first on what has been done about their situation. it could be something similar to yours. 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
110 Kudos
41 Kudos
31 Kudos
18 Kudos
15 Kudos