Searching...

Activate NBN without a new modem?

HGE66

Hi,

After 2 months of false starts, I finally got the NBN installed last week. Unfortunately Optus sent my modem to the wrong address and I am still waiting for a new modem to arrive. It is getting very frustrating having no internet or phone for over a week.

I have a Fetch box and the modem that was supplied by Optus with the Fetch box. Is it possible for me to activate the NBN without the new modem using the current modem? When I had a previous appointment for installation (which didn't work out because the tech guy turned up too late) and the modem did not arrive, one of the Optus staff on Live Chat told me that I didn't need a new modem at all and the one that came with the Fetch box would be suitable. Is this true?

If I can use that modem, how do I activate the NBN?

Thanks for your help.

HGE66

Hi,

After 2 months of false starts, I finally got the NBN installed last week. Unfortunately Optus sent my modem to the wrong address and I am still waiting for a new modem to arrive. It is getting very frustrating having no internet or phone for over a week.

I have a Fetch box and the modem that was supplied by Optus with the Fetch box. Is it possible for me to activate the NBN without the new modem using the current modem? When I had a previous appointment for installation (which didn't work out because the tech guy turned up too late) and the modem did not arrive, one of the Optus staff on Live Chat told me that I didn't need a new modem at all and the one that came with the Fetch box would be suitable. Is this true?

If I can use that modem, how do I activate the NBN?

Thanks for your help.

Re: Activate NBN without a new modem?

petergdownload

The NBN is active. Its Optus that have yet to open the gate. As far as I know you need an OPtus modem to do the first connection. Thereafter any modem can be used in its stead. Perhaps Tomorrow morning you can drop in to an Optus store and ask to borrow one for an hour or two. No idea if they will but you can ask. Or do you know someone with an Optus plan? 

Otherwise you'll need to wait until yours turns up.

Peter Gillespie

Re: Activate NBN without a new modem?

SillyGogo

jump on gumtree and pick up a used/new optus modem, they are around $10-$50

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Jeneral__Pain

Unfortunately, you've failed to disclose what NBN technology you are being connected too. Without knowing that, it's really hard to say.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
110 Kudos
41 Kudos
31 Kudos
18 Kudos
14 Kudos