Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
New Contributor bodey
New Contributor

ADSL to NBN

I received a call from Optus about a free upgrade to NBN - he put me through to a call queue and the line then disconnected. No one has called back since. What is happening? Will I lose my ADSL connection in February?

Thanks

Mike

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: ADSL to NBN

You should be very wary of any unsolicited calls, especially NBN related ones as there are plenty of NBN phone scams going around.

If you have received a letter from Optus informing you of disconnection in February then you need to be pro-active and choose/organise switching to NBN yourself.

Note that you do not have to go with Optus NBN just because you may currently be with Optus ADSL.

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

YAC makes good points.
You can only move to the NBN when you expressly agree to (good news is its lots faster than ADSL). Check your address at the NBN website:

https://www.nbnco.com.au/connect-home-or-business/check-your-address

It will tell you the date (some time this year) when the NBN is available at your home. You will have 18 months after this date to arrange to move to the NBN (or other technology like mobile wireless or 5G). After 18 months, yes your ADSL will be permanently shut off.

What postcode are you?
New Contributor bodey
New Contributor

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Nice location 🐵

That area seems to essentially be NBN ready now. It has been for the last 15 months. And yes all old technologies (like ADSL) are due to be shut off in March this year. This is not something you can avoid. If you do nothing then in March your internet will cease and your phone will stop working.

Its not a big deal though. You can contact any RSP (Optus, Telstra, TPG, ABB, etc. ) and just request they connect you to the NBN.) You will need to sign a new contract with new terms and pricing. Some RSPs offer month to month plans (my recommendation) others will ask for 12-24 month contracts. All RSPs now use the NBN and for you the standard bang for buck 50/20 plans will be plenty (and 5 times the speed of your ADSL)

Yell out if you want any more advice, but seriously, find a new NBN RSP plan now.
0 Kudos