Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
jaoz1015
New Contributor
New Contributor

ADSL to NBN Activation Issues

I migrated from ADSL to NBN Cable 50/20 over 2 weeks ago however the speeds have remained exactly the same as ADSL. My neighbor in the unit across from me went with another provider and his speeds are hitting just about 50 / 20 exact thus it doesn't look like a building connection issue.

I've contacted Optus at least 3 times and each time I was either told to give some time to catch on (it hasn't) or that I would be followed up with after a ticket was raised (I haven't). I was also told that it should just be working and that maybe the ethernet isn't plugged in all the way.....

Anyways it would be great to get some tips and hints on how best to explain this to Optus. I really don't want to be asked again if the green lights are on and if the cable is plugged in correctly.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: ADSL to NBN Activation Issues

@jaoz1015 wrote:

I migrated from ADSL to NBN Cable 50/20 over 2 weeks ago however the speeds have remained exactly the same as ADSL.

What speed is that?

If you have this modem and your speed is a max of 12/1, then you are probably running off 4G backup. Is that the case?

0 Kudos
jaoz1015
New Contributor
New Contributor

I still have a sageacom ADSL modem so no 4G connect. I’m assuming this modem can handle the NBN speeds as it has a fibre Ethernet port but not confident given it’s a bit of an old modem.
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@jaoz1015 wrote:
I still have a sageacom ADSL modem

In that case you are probably not even on NBN yet. Optus should have sent you a new modem, unless you have explicitly told them not to.

Have you received a confirmation SMS/email from Optus saying that your NBN has been activated? 

As you are in a unit, I assume you ordered FTTB, is that correct? If not what have you ordered?

I’m assuming this modem can handle the NBN speeds as it has a fibre Ethernet port but not confident given it’s a bit of an old modem.

If you are only expecting 50/20 then any modem should be able to handle that.

0 Kudos
jaoz1015
New Contributor
New Contributor

Not being connected to the NBN seems likely even though the modem is connected with the NBN box I had installed and producing a connection.

No confirmation from Optus confirming activation however in one of my exchanges with support, they said it was active. Also the connection type is hybrid fibre coaxial.

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@jaoz1015 wrote:

Not being connected to the NBN seems likely even though the modem is connected with the NBN box I had installed and producing a connection.

If you have an NBN box (one that's clearly labelled as property of NBN Co) and its producing a connection then you are definitely on NBN. Power off/on that NBN box and see if speed improved.

If your max speed is no more then 25/5 then it probably means that they just have not applied the proper speed pack. Next time you contact them as them to confirm what speed pack/speed you are currently on.

jaoz1015
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for the recommendation @YetAnotherAcc and appreciate your assistance here. I wish I could see speeds above 12 so hopefully this is just a speedpack issue and nothing else.

0 Kudos