cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

ACCC awards Optus as fastest NBN provider

The ACCC has found that Optus outperforms it's competitors in NBN speeds in their latest Measuring Broadband Australia quarterly report.

Optus achieved the highest percentage of maximum download speeds during the busy evening period – ahead of nearest rival TPG.

The quarterly report tracks how Australians are experiencing internet performance in their homes and showed that Optus has the highest percentage of maximum download speeds during the busy evening period from 7-11pm. 

Dennis Wong, Managing Director Networks, said: "We’re thrilled that Optus has the fastest NBN peak evening speeds independently tested by the ACCC. The results reflect the considerable investment we’ve made to our network to improve our customers’ experience and ensure they consistently achieve a high level of performance.  

"The ACCC report provides more positive news for Optus following the launch of our truly unique 5G network this week, which promises to deliver customers a game-changing, world-leading experience on their 5G home and 5G mobile devices," he said. 

The vital statistics 

• Optus is number one for average download speeds in the busy hours at 87.6% of the maximum. TPG is second at 86.3%.  
  • Optus is number one for average download​ speeds in the busiest hour at 85.2% of the maximum, TPG is second at 82.2% 
  • ​Optus is the only provider that achieved 100% of busy hour tests that exceeded advertised download speed. Telstra was second at 85%, TPG only achieved 53%. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
18 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: ACCC awards Optus as fastest NBN provider

Congrats Optus on topping the speed tests.

Though someone should probably inform Management that their 5G network is not truly unique 😎

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I would say then that either the ACCC are incompetent or have been paid off! I have Optus NBN and it has never worked properly in the 18 months it has been installed. I have to reset the modem every single day as Wi-Fi stops working and despite repeated complaints both Optus & NBN keep passing the buck & saying it’s not their fault. I can’t take this anymore I only moved to Optus as they had the EPL but it’s no longer a good enough hook to keep me. Next stop ACCC for two complaints 1 - Optus do not provide the service I pay for. 2 - If Optus won’t provide the contracted service then they should have the EPL rights stripped as they cannot have a pay service if they won’t provide sai service. Both of these complaints will also be copied to my Federal MP, the shadow communications minister. Enough is enough!!
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Daveclarke66  What NBN technology do you have? FTTN?

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Unfortunately not, I have the completely bastardised old cable TV HFC connection that is so not fit for purpose it’s not funny! How companies are allowed to sell this I have no idea.
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I think you might have the NBN technologies mixed up. FTTN (Fibre to the node) is essentially old fashioned ADSL (with the node a bit closer to you) and for about 40% of the population using it its a bit of a lottery what speeds and stability they'll get between 12Mbps and 90Mbps.
There's no reason NBN HFC shouldn't provide a stable 90Mbps to every home if its not faulty (i.e. there is something wrong that needs to be repaired). I agree it absolutely on Optus to arrange for the NBN to track this down.
After all this time I'd request the contract be ended (without penalty) and look to another RSP who might look into the issue more thoroughly.
Also there are modems that can handle line stability better so replacing the standard Optus unit should be looked into.
Note that the EPL can be purchased from Optus monthly for $15 and used with any RSP so that should be a good thing.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

If you count the Sagecom modem that Optus provide I am up to modem number 5 and cannot in all honesty justify wasting a couple hundred dollars on another one! I am also at NBN modem number 4 so I really don’t think it’s a modem issue!! Optus have steadfastly denied any responsibility even though that’s where I buy the service from and despite repeated requests to speak to someone onshore the Indian call centre refuse this request always telling me there is no one on shore that can look at this. A formal complaint laid to Optus over two weeks ago has had no follow up either so al in all a crappy service all round! You should not have to reset your modems daily in order to reconnect the service but Optus, or more to the point the Indian call centre, cannot understand this as it deviates from their standard script. The TIO are a toothless tiger so I am left with the only option of the ACCC and my local MP as no one else seems to want to own the issue and actually try to resolve it. It’s not bad enough we are forced into a service we never asked for nor wanted but now the Telcos just see it as a vehicle to rob you of your hard earned cash without even giving the pretence of giving a damn!!!
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I get the frustration but you're generalising a lot based on your Optus experience (which I agree doesn't sound at all good). Different RSPs and Different equipment could see a big improvement in your end user experience. Based on what you've had to date its little wonder you're not impressed with the NBN.

FWIW the Optus modems aren't great. I would be trying a different model and quality but that's only a guess. The other half would be your RSP taking responsibility for the

Have you tried the TIO? Far from being 'toothless' they have been a great resource for many frustrated customers. They have the power to force Telcos to a resolution and generally act on your behalf after your submission. Note they can't force Optus to provide a good service but they can direct Optus to cease your contract etc. The ACCC generally don't do individual complaints.

I would suggest a TIO complaint is in order (although before that just request the contract be ended due to poor performance as you might find Optus are ok with that.) Note I usually recommend you WRITE your complaint (pen and paper) as these will usually get a response and a complaint number that you can then send to the TIO.

Good Luck
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Just a practical thought. I once had a device that also froze up everyday or two. I ended you plugging it into a a cheap wall timer and setting it to switch off/on at 4am every day. The result was it essentially was always working when I needed it.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/hpm-24hr-analog-timer-with-offset-double-pole_p0014750

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Seems Optus still rate well in the ACCC results (these just out for February 2020)

Its a pity though that they seem solely focused on download speeds and not as much on dropouts and upload speeds.