jeepers
Contributor
Contributor

Re: A marked difference in speeds

AC download speed.jpg

0 Kudos
Ness_YC

Thank you for providing those screenshots @jeepers. Please note that under Speed Pack 4 (NBN100/40). The typical Busy Period Download Speed is 90Mbps (during peak times). 

I would recommend checking out our Speed Packs on offer if you wish to upgrade your current pack. We also have a 7 Ways to Optimise Your WiFi Connection on the nbn article with some handy tips.

If you believe that you are experiencing a WiFi issue, I'd suggest connecting an ethernet cable from your computer directly to your modem and comparing your ethernet and WiFi speeds. For further questions, I'd suggest reaching out to our Technical Support Team via the My Optus App who are more than happy to assist. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

jeepers
Contributor
Contributor

As i am on Tier 4 should i get 40Mbps upload as i am only getting 20Mbps.. Is there a speedpack that is 100/20 Mbps....?
0 Kudos
Ness_YC

We appreciate your response @jeepers. There is a 100/20 Speed Pack. Please note that 40Mbps is your maximum upload speed with Speed Pack 4. Upload speeds can be influenced by environmental factors, network congestion, and number of people/devices online in your household as well. Therefore, upload speeds can fluctuate.

I would recommend that you test your connection on different devices, check your modem for firmware updates (we've stored all of our modem guides in one place for your reference), use an Ethernet cable to test Ethernet vs WiFi speeds. As other software on your computer(s) utilising the network may also slow your upload speeds down, I would also recommend disabling unnecessary software and scanning your devices for malware. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Most RSPs have quietly dropped from 100/40 to 100/20. This is because the NBN isn't really set up to handle upload and so NBNCo has made anything over 20Mbps significantly more costly.

Its actually often incredibly difficult to get confirmation of upload speeds as RSPs don't advertise them and you won't find the info in any CIS document. 

A few RSPs offer 40Mbps upload but you'll need to look around.

0 Kudos
jeepers
Contributor
Contributor

OK ...Thank you all for the replies and info.