cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Contributor
Contributor

A marked difference in speeds

I am on the tier 4 speed pack..If i do a Optus download test (WiFi) with my Ipad i get 112MBps download speed if  i use my Win10 Laptop i get 57MBps. Upload speeds are Ok.My laptop only has 2.4Ghz WiFi but the Win10 speed should be better. And yes i removed all other devices for the Tests.

Anyone more knowledgeable than me got any suggestions.

cheers

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Contributor
Contributor

Re: A marked difference in speeds

That should of course read Mbps and not MBps ( although Gigabit downloads would be nice )
0 Kudos

Hi @jeepers!

Thanks for raising this with us.

Can you please perform a speed test → speedtest.net, connecting your laptop directly to the modem via an Ethernet cable? 

This allows us to see your end speeds and eliminate WiFi as a possible issue. 

Once complete please share the screenshot of the results and we will do what we can to  further assist from there. 

Contributor
Contributor

Definatley WiFi ProblemDefinatley WiFi Problem

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Definatley a WiFi issue and i am sat about 2Mtrs from the Modem.
0 Kudos

Cheers for that @jeepers, that's certainly not great to hear. Have you tried troubleshooting as of yet? I would recommend giving that a shot which will provide you with some more information and guides on how to better the connectivity from your premise. Give those a shot and see how you go. 

Should you continue to have issues, I would also recommend having a chat to our 24/7 Messenger teams whom will be able to look into your services and advise further.

Contributor
Contributor

I think the issue is my old WiFi card in my laptop...i borrowed an AC adapter and my WiFi speed was around the 100Mbps mark. Looks like i will be visiting JB-HiFi shortly to get one.
0 Kudos

Thanks for getting back to us with an update, @jeepers. We have a handy guide that you could look over as well. 

Let us know how you go! 

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Are you sure its no Mb/s ?That would put your laptop at about the expected speeds.

Perhaps try on someone else wifi to test your Laptop speeds.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Yep its Mbps i originally put MBps in my post but corrected it . I now have my WiFi connected via a USB Nano AC Adapter and my Downlload speed is. averaging at 102Mbps.
0 Kudos