Searching...

802.3at Standard PoE

Jiefu

My question is pretty simple, does the Sagemcom F@ST3864 use the 802.3at Standard PoE. Getting information from the manufacturer is a joke, they refer me back to OPTUS, so this question is aimed at moderators, technicians and techno geeks Smiley Happy like me, but ones that know the answer, cause I don't.

I wait with baited breath and hope, Jeff

If you go through life with your head buried in the sand,......all people will see is an ass..!
I am an OPTUS customer and NOT in their service.!!!!
Highlighted

Re: 802.3at Standard PoE

Shauna

Hey @Jiefu - Good question! I'll need to ask one of my colleagues to respond once they're back in the office in the morning, they'd have a better idea than me! 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Paddylee

Not likely to have PoE on a consumer level device.

Easiest way would be to look at the plug pack adaptor that comes with the device.

802.3at delivers up to 30W at 0.6A between 42-57V so thats a bit of juice needed ontop of the regular device requirements.

I would think you would need a stand alone POE injector.

Nothing is mentioned on: https://smb.optus.com.au/opfiles/Shop/Support/Files/Sagem%20F3864%20Datasheet.pdf

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

Jiefu

Thanks to you both, I also tried Sagemcom but this time I used the device number 5350 as that is the international version of our unit. This tim I got a reply and they advised that none of their products can supply power via the WAN port.  Sad really for modern equipment, the opportunity to use a WiFi device that can actually provide a service and not require another power brick,.....and we are shot down again Smiley Sad

When will OPTUS invest in providing a proper peice of equipment for us to use, we are in the 21st century AD, not BC. Most devices are wireless and this device is completely "Wire Less".

Suggest OPTUS  look at Draytek devices.......!!!

If you go through life with your head buried in the sand,......all people will see is an ass..!

Paddylee

Id say the amount of people actually who know what POE is and want to use a consumer plan/device would be very low.

Do use it for a ceiling mounted wifi device myself but I use a PoE injector as have changed internet delivery methods a few times over the years. 

Pricing wise - dont think you would find a vdsl2/adsl 2 router with ac wireless with PoE for a price the average consumer would pay. 

PoE injectors work just as well. 

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

Jiefu

Yes, I do understand what you mean by this Paddy. I am actually going the same path as you with ceiling mounted device for WiFi and I guess the only option is the PoE injector as you mentioned.  This was also indicated by the device supplier as alternative to another brick in the pwoerpoint.  Can I ask, what sort of injector you have and where you purchased it..?

My referral to the Draytek devices was an overall sledge at getting rid of the Sagemcom devices and putting in a VOIP divice that actually works with WAN and WiFi dual freq.  Hell, even the Fritzbox is better than Sagemcom and has great warranty.  I've used both when I was on ADSL 2+ and had VOIP phone with another provider. Configured once and always worked. My 3864 has been configured 5 times in 13 months and still has issues. You can't blame me for being a little fed up with it, and that's just to keep it workiing. Smiley Wink

Jeff

Paddylee

Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC Lite model + Ubiquiti POE Injector is what I used.

Numerous sellers in Aus, just have to get soemthing that suits your requirements.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
104 Kudos
36 Kudos
31 Kudos
13 Kudos
13 Kudos