cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

5Ghz Wifi connected but no internet, wan and 2.4Ghz operating fine.

I have an issue where the router is working fine and connected to the internet. This is proven by wan connections and 2.4Ghz wifi connections. However I find often that the 5Ghz connection, while it will connect to the wifi, it indicates there is no internet.
Going back to 2.4Ghz internet is avalaible.
Any suggestions what might be causing this?

Restarting the router often fixes this but not always.
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Highlighted

Re: 5Ghz Wifi connected but no internet, wan and 2.4Ghz operating fine.

Hi @dtmanning, thanks for getting in touch with us. 

In these articles, we've included steps for improving the strength of your signal: 

Poor or no signal

How to find the best 5G signal

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@dtmanningLog into the router and find the option to see if there is a firmware update and update it to see if this fixes it.

When asking for support it is a very good idea to include details of the hardware, in this case the router and especially the model and version (if applicable). For example google "router" and see how many there are, then add optus and keep going until your router pops up.

If you are still stuck try support via the optus myapp on the phone, but they may have NFI.

Good luck.

Highlighted

Just adding to this @dtmanning, here is the link to be diverted to the My Optus App from your mobile device. Our Tech Support Team is available to assist you via this channel if you require further assistance. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hello @AndrewC1
According to this article (below) the updates are pushed automatically. 
The router is the standard Optus one. I a sure that the tech team can ping it to see what is going on.
So no that was no helpful. 
But I will add the details for the Oh so helpful response already received.  

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/NBN/Update-Modem-Router-Firmware-for-F-ST3864V2/m-p/409724#M11728

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hello,
Thank you for thinking to share the mobile link posted below.
However these two articles are no help whatso ever. I have already reviewed these and numerous threads on the less than helpful Optus support for difficult router problems.
If this was easy to resolve, I would have done it.

This issue is not a signal strength or Wifi connection issue. The problem is the apparent random loss of Internet while connected, when the internet is clearly not lost. 

This has been an increasing problem, and I suspect the router which is about 6 years old is probably dying.

Router detail page:
2020-09-24_10h33_17.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

has the 5Ghz ever worked? I suggest you to contact optus for a replacement modem. My 5Ghz radio on my Ubiquiti AP died last year and the 2.4Ghz works perfectly. Maybe the 5Ghz radio/card has a shorter life than the 2.4Ghz. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @dtmanning

In my experience 5GHz has a shorter range than 2.4GHzand tends to drop out more often in my apartment. I also have problems with RF interference from an unshielded source in the 5 GHZ range somewhere in my area which prevents a wireless speaker operating on 5GHz band from working properly. However, that doesn't sound like your problem. 

It sounds like your router will use its DHCP servers to give your devices an IP lease and DNS settings when you connect on the wifi 2.4 GHz band but not the 5GHz band. It must have been frustrating for you that optus support don't know the difference between a broken 5G celluar and 5GHz wifi connection. Understanding terminology and how the internet works is the first step in being able to provide any half decent support 🙂

If you are on a Windows box, perhaps run cmd.exe and paste in the results of ipconfig /all into this forum when you are connected on 2.4 and 5GHz bands so we can see the LAN site IP addresses and help you debug it.

I don't have experience using your router but I suggest setting the logging settings of the router to debug level and restarting your router and *all* your network devices that connect to it. Then try to connect to it on 2.4 GHz and 5GHz and look for failed DHCP connection errors. If you don't see ayand its still not working, perhaps share those. There may be some issue with the IP routes on the box and you might want to consider a reset to factory defaults, which will load the routers backup operating system from a spare memory bank.

Cheers. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

@sysAdmin great pickup, I missed the part about the 5Ghz drop out. Looks it 5GHz works but drops out. You are right, 5GHz will give you better speed at a lower range. 

Where is the drop off happening, same room as the modem? Any particular time or combination with other devices? As suggested by @sysAdmin, do a modem factory reset and see if it helps. Also, is the problem from day 1 or only recently? 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yes, it has all work really well for years. Its in the last few months its been getting less reliable. I think you are right I think the modem needs replacing. I hope Optus agree.
0 Kudos
Top Contributors