cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
dtmanning
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: 5Ghz Wifi connected but no internet, wan and 2.4Ghz operating fine.

Thanks for the input. I'll have a looks at some of these options and get back to you.
0 Kudos
dtmanning
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi, the whole system seems to be experiencing similar issues now. Even the LAN connection looses internet.
It appears most likely that the internet is not being passed through most often when a device reconnects. What i mean is it is connected to the router either by WiFi or by cable but it does not recognise that there is an internet connection. During testing I can prove that the internet is enabled just not on some devices.
For example, im writing this on one device over wifi, and at the same time a lan connected device is says connected but no internet.
0 Kudos
dtmanning
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Intended to add that it does not matter rather range. All testing is done within 2 meter direct line of sight to the modem.

0 Kudos
SillyGogo
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

@dtmanning try a factory reset and see if that improves, if not then I would try to get a new modem with Optus. Not sure what the current wait time is. Other options:

1. if you have a spare wifi router then connect it to the Sagem.

2. look at gumtree or facebook market place for a almost new 5366 optus modem, there are plenty around for about $10-$30, some are even free. You can plug it in and will work straight away. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
dja
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi @dtmanning, The symptoms you describe sound like a DHCP / DNS service failure on your router (client devices progressively disconnecting and now not getting an IP address from the router). Earlier this week, I spent a few days debugging this problem on a new Optus Nokia 5G modem.

If that were the case, your router web admin page would say you were connected, but your Windows clients would probably show a "No internet, connected/secured" message in your task tray. On an android moile phone, you might get an exclamation mark next to the wifi symbol.

Connected_NoInternet.jpg

From now on, I'm assuming the main problem you are having is with a computer running a Windows operating system.

And if you were to run cmd.exe from your taskbar and type ipconfig and press enter, you might see something like this with an IPv4 address starting in 169.254....:

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.72.106(Preferred) 
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

If you see that, then there is definetely a DHCP service issue on the router.

If you were to inspect the logs of your router and the DHCP service was not working, you might see lines with errors similiar to: 

[err] <131>1 2020-09-22T18:28:42.805949+10:00 AONT dhcpd 2790 - - DHCP-Comm:dealRequestMessage() deal DhcpInform Resp- failed.DHCP request port-0, XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX RequestIP-6401A8C0 XID-1937a610

where XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX is the physical address (MAC) of the computer in your network failing to connect properly. If you type ipconfig /all at cmd.exe on your computers you can see the MAC addresses of your computer: 

ipconfigall.PNG

If you do suspect a DHCP error on the router, then follow these steps:

1. Reboot the router

2. Try the following commands in your Windows machines cmd.exe, ipconfig / release and then ipconfig / renew

3. If that does not work or you use Mac or phone, just reboot your computer and phones etc.

4. If that does not work, factory reset your router using the software button in the web page admin.

5. If that does not work, factory reset with the paper clip

6. If that does not work, most likely time for a new modem

For windows machines that are failing to negotiate with a router, it is a good idea to reboot those computers to clear any errors in memory and/or finalise any Windows Updates that may have downloaded. There have been a few windows patches the last couple of weeks and maybe part of the networking software was patched. In my experience, it can take just one bad Windows PC to break a network. So try that before factory reseting your router.

If you see a proper IP address in your router's DHCP allocation range, then the problem is more complex, say perhaps a static IP address conflict on your network, or a broken DNS proxy on the router. To be sure, you should check all the computers on your network to make sure they are set to automatically obtain an IP address and DNS server address from the router.

DHCP_Settings.PNG   

You should also open cmd.exe and run ping 8.8.8.8 to see if you can talk to google's public DNS server. 

PingDNS.PNG

If you get a reply, like the above that means your internet is working but the DNS settings are mangled somewhere on your computer, on your router or somewhere upstream at Optus. The easiest way to fix that is to check the radio button "Use the following DNS servers" on your computer and enter 8.8.8.8. This will use Google's service to convert web addresses to host names. You could also make this change inside your router, look for the setting Primary DNS.

If you find that is the problem, you could talk to optus or try a factory reset.

Cheers