cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Ask a Question
martianwizard
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

5366TN with Nest Wifi - Bridge Mode πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈπŸ˜…

I have an Optus supplied modem (Sagecomm 5366TN) and I have nest wifi connected to it. The NBN connection is FTTN. I’m trying to put the modem to the bridge mode so I can port forward but it is just not happening!

I have been reading the posts and followed everything to the dot.

1. Connected the Optus modem to the wall socket (NBN FTTN).
2. Connected Nest wifi to the lan port 1 of the Optus modem. I have one nest base and 2 access points; Philips Hue Bridge is connected to the nest base.
3. DMZ mode turned on in the Optus modem settings and the wifi is off.

I have been trying to get help from Optus since Saturday and they just don’t wanna help. They keep redirecting me to different teams and my guess is that they don’t like me using my own router and keep trying to move to the Optus modem and shamelessly upselling the wifi booster.

Any help to fix this would be much appreciated.

Thanks πŸ™‚
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: 5366TN with Nest Wifi - Bridge Mode πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈπŸ˜…

@martianwizard wrote:
I’m trying to put the modem to the bridge mode so I can port forward but it is just not happening!

If the 5366TN had a bridge mode you wouldn't be able to port forward as that is a routing feature, and the purpose of bridge mode is to bypass all routing.

so I can port forward but it is just not happening!

The port forward settings are in Network Settings --> Port Forwarding.

3. DMZ mode turned on in the Optus modem settings and the wifi is off.

Using DMZ port forwards everything and bypasses the firewall, so its better then just port forwarding.

Any help to fix this would be much appreciated.

What problems are you actually having? Using DMZ should have fixed most issues, but it will not fix them all.

0 Kudos
martianwizard
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I have connected the nbn Optus modem to the wall socket and have nest wifi connected through lan port 1 on the modem.

I have port forwarding rules set on the nest wifi to access devices remotely but Optus modem keeps overriding them.

I followed the instructions on the forum but doesn’t seem to help. Some setting in the modem keeping taking over the nest wifi port forwarding. I don’t want to port forward from the modem as all my devices are connected to the nest wifi and Optus modem just couldn’t handle the devices or the range.

Dmz mode is turned on in the Optus modem and the ip is set to the nest wifi base point that is connected via the Ethernet to the modem.

I followed everything to the dot but doesn’t seem to work. That’s why I reached out to Optus. They basically said you are using nest and we can only help for Optus modem related information and closed the case after 10+ hours of calls to them.

It is the bloody Optus modem that I need help with. Why can’t they understand that? πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@martianwizard wrote:
I have port forwarding rules set on the nest wifi to access devices remotely but Optus modem keeps overriding them.

If you have set the Optus modem to DMZ to the nest then it can't be overriding the port forwarding because DMZ forces every all ports to go to the nest, and it should be overriding Optus' firewall as well.

With the port forwarding setting on the nest, are you setting the source IP, or are you laving it blank?  If not what is it?

I followed everything to the dot but doesn’t seem to work. 

You may also need to disable NAT on the Optus router (on firewall settings page).

How are you testing the remote access? From another internet service, or are you just using an online port scanner to see if the ports are open?

It is the bloody Optus modem that I need help with. Why can’t they understand that? πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ

Because the very limited tech training. Unless a problem fits neatly into one of their troubleshooting scripts they either have no clue what to do, are are not allowed to spend any more time on the problem.

0 Kudos
martianwizard
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I have set to DMZ mode and pointed to the nest and one would hope that fixes the issue πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ

On the nest, I have reserved IP address for my raspberry pi and assigning port forwarding rules to allow port 8123 and 443.

I noticed the NAT is on. Turning it off breaks the internet for some weird reason. 😡

I’m checking through an online port checker and trying to connect to raspberry pi through my iPhone via 4G mobile data.
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@martianwizard wrote:
I have set to DMZ mode and pointed to the nest and one would hope that fixes the issue πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ

That would suggest that the problem is more likely with the nest. So before you got the nest did remote access to the pi work when connected directly to the Optus? If not, or you hadn't tried that before then I suggest you skip the nest for now and plug the pi into the Optus for testing. First see if the pi work without DMZingo to it, and then try with DMZ. 

On the nest, I have reserved IP address for my raspberry pi and assigning port forwarding rules to allow port 8123 and 443.

In the port forward rules, what do you have for source IP? Is it blank? If not, what IP are you using?

I noticed the NAT is on. Turning it off breaks the internet for some weird reason. 😡

NAT is basically the router function, so disabling it kills the Optus' router.

When you have two routers together you get a double-NAT situation which is generally not a problem but can cause some issues. For example in double-NAT you'd usually be able to play internet connected games on a games console fine, except when you tried to host a game. I don't know if/how that might affect remote access in your situation.

I'm not overly familiar with how things are supposed to work with NAT  off, but I think the DMZ should have worked with NAT off as long a you give the nest a fixed IP address (from within the nest, and not reserved in the Optus).

I’m checking through an online port checker 

They are not too useful in confirming that a port is open because they can not detect open ports if the device/app that is listening to the open port is wilfully ignoring the port scans. 

trying to connect to raspberry pi through my iPhone via 4G mobile data.

That should be a reliable way to test.

0 Kudos
martianwizard
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Would you like to remote access and fix it over a call? You seem to know the stuff and I’m happy to pay for your time.
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Sorry, can't help you there. Thanks for the offer though.

0 Kudos
fooski
New Contributor
New Contributor

My question is why are u connecting to the optus router at all? U can connect ur nest wifi router directly to the NBN modem and the only thing u lose would be the included VOIP
0 Kudos
martianwizard
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

As mentioned in the post - I have FTTN. I only have a wall socket (no nbn unit) and need an ADSL modem (Optus modem) to the wall socket to get the internet and can’t connect nest wifi straight to the wall socket.
0 Kudos