cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

4g sim for Sagemcom 5366 LTE Modem

Hi all,
Sorry in advance if someone has already asked this question. I am about to purchase a brand new Sagemcom 5366 LTE modem from a second hand market. I have a spare 4g sim at home (Data share) and just wondering if this sim can be used for the modem. 🙏
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Highlighted

Re: 4g sim for Sagemcom 5366 LTE Modem

Hey @TIMOTHYTAM, thanks for your question here.

Are you intending to use the Data share sim via the modem and access the internet?

In theory, this will work once you have changed the settings on the modem itself to the SIM you currently have. I couldn't guarantee that this will work though as the modem is being purchased elsewhere and we're not sure if there is modifications being made.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Don't know about your specific SIM, but there are definitely people that have gotten Optus SIMs to work, like here for example.

Just be aware that the 4G backup might kick in when you are not aware, so there is a potential of a high unexpected data usage and therefore the potential to unknowingly exceed your plans data limit and get hit with $10 per gig excess usage charges.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks @YetAnotherAcc  and @Steven_YC. My sim was a spare one which data share with my whole family plan. It is currently used for my iPad without any issue.

Good point though need to pay attention to the usage to avoid hefty additional data payment. Just need to work out how to set it up in the first place given the modem is brand new in the box.

Do you both have any instructions to share? Thanks !

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

You can try using the info in the link I gave you and apply it to the 4G configuration which should be in the internet connection section somewhere.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks for providing more details, @TIMOTHYTAM. See here for the Quick Start Guide for the Ultra Wi-Fi modem. I don't have instructions to provide you regarding activating your SIM in this modem as this is typically a back-end process, which we are unable to assist with since the modem is being purchased via a third party. However, configuration will be necessary as the SIM must be linked to the router IMEI to work. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Ness_YC wrote:

See here for the Quick Start Guide for the Sagemcom_F@ST_5366 modem.

No point providing that link as we are talking about the 4G features of the Ultra, which the 5366TN does not have.

I don't have instructions to provide you regarding activating your SIM in this modem

The SIM is already activated, it is/was currently used in an iPad.

which we are unable to assist with since the modem is being purchased via a third party.

Normally this would be the case, but as this is an Optus branded device, with Optus firmware, you actually are obligated to provide support for it (at the very least while it is with the warranty period) , regardless of where it was purchased. This is especially true given that the owner can not go back to the manufacturer because they disown the device as it has custom Optus firmware.

However, configuration will be necessary as the SIM must be linked to the router IMEI to work. 

Are you saying that data share SIMs are bound/locked to the IMEI that the device is initially activated on, and cannot be used with another device without reactivation?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks @YetAnotherAcc  !! We need more of you who would spend some time to read our replies and truly understand our questions. It’s no point providing irrelevant answers which could further confuse non tech savvy users.

As the sim had already activated and used on a separate device (i.e. the ipad) that ain’t orginally activated on, I would think the sim would work on the modem. Regardless, I would give it a go and test it over the weekend.

The modem is brand new from Optus. I purchased from a NBN user which will move house and do not require the modem anymore. Optus should provide warranty support as long as it is within the warranty period regardless of who the user is.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

As the sim had already activated and used on a separate device (i.e. the ipad) that ain’t orginally activated on, I would think the sim would work on the modem.

I agree. The catch with these modems though is that they are intended to work with the specific type of SIMs that they are initially shipped with, so we have no way of knowing how they will work with other Optus SIMs, but given that other people have reported success with at least non-initially supplied SIMs there is hope.

Optus should provide warranty support as long as it is within the warranty period regardless of who the user is.

For warranty support that is definitely the case. In your case though you are using a SIM type it was not initially designed for, so while they can certainty say Optus can't help you with getting that SIM going, they can't just rule out support in general for the device, which is what Ness stated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

@YetAnotherAcc It sounds fine with my data share sim and the transition to back up mode is actually quick fast. Pretty happy with the modem so far.

0 Kudos