cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor sunnybee
Occasional Contributor

30Mbps to 50Mbps considered as "downgrade"?

Hi all, I’m writing to see if anyone has experienced the same, which was very much annoying.

I’m currently on NBN plan for $80 per month on 30Mbps, which started in Apr 2017 when the cable services were cut off. Optus sent me a letter and made me feel that I had to stay with Optus for NBN, so I signed a new contract of 2yrs on NBN with Optus. It was the beginning of the story, as you can see if Optus honoured the cable contract. I would have completed the contract by now.

The beginning of my NBN journey wasn’t pleasant at all, I had multiple dropouts every day for the first two months, had to contact Optus more than 10 times until a real person came to my place, the speed was a lot lower than the old cable service when it was connected, although I paid $10 extra for higher speed (the cheapest plan at the time was $70 for 12Mbps).

Optus was fined for misleading clients and slow speed by the government, however I was never contacted for a compensation as so said in the news.

Last night, I found the latest plan offered by Optus was better and cheaper than my current one. It is now $75 on 50Mbps Vs my $80 on 30Mbps, therefore I contacted Optus to see if I could move on to the higher speed. The answer was very disappointing.

Moving from 30Mbps to 50Mbps is considered as “downgrade” because the price goes cheaper! If I want to change plan, there is a downgrade fee of $80 and I will have to sign a new contract (look, here is another trap I will never jump in again). I said ok I honour the contract and keep paying $80 till the end, but can I get higher speed for now? The answer if still NO.

I really wonder if anyone received compensation and how you received it. As a victim of misleading, I will definitely go for a more flexible provider next year, instead of doing the never ending 2yrs with Optus.

I have another property with internet provided by iinet, it is also offering cheaper and better plans time by time, moving on to higher speed at lower cost was never treated as “down grade”, I did it for 3 times in fact, without paying a cent.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: 30Mbps to 50Mbps considered as "downgrade"?

@sunnybee, I'm more than happy to discuss some options with you.

You're welcome to send us a private message. I'll need you to include your full name, DOB and account number.

Optus was fined for misleading clients and slow speed by the government, however I was never contacted for a compensation as so said in the news.

To see if you'd qualified for compensation, I'd really need to find out what type of NBN technology is being used to service your home. The ACCC enforceable undertaking was for those who'd purchased a Fibre to the Node or Fibre to the basement service.

The speed of said service is limited by the length of copper running from the node to your home. 

If we had you on Optus Cable, it's likely that you're using a HFC-NBN service. 

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor sunnybee
Occasional Contributor

Re: 30Mbps to 50Mbps considered as "downgrade"?

Hi Dan, thanks for the reply and i sent you the details via private msg. 

I kind of understand what you said regarding the speed or type of service, as a fact I never made it to Optus for the speed issue because it went fast after the first couple of months.  There must be some issues on the networks in my area, my neighbor did not install NBN in 2017 and NBN ceased new installation soon after mine was installed, she's still waiting for NBN to be available again on her address. If NBN did it to protect existing client by not adding more users to the busy network, I appreciate it very much. 

The misleading issue, however, was indeed the cause of all my troubles, i would not have signed the contract if I hadn't read the letter from Optus. It was said in the letter clearly that my house would have no internet connection in a month if i didn't move to NBN with Optus, and Optus staff did tell me over the phone that because my contract on cable wasn't over, if I move to other providers i would be fined, but on the other hand, the unfinished contract was treated as "finished" when she talked about NBN, all the time I spent on cable service was not counted and I had to do a brand new two years on NBN.   You would agree that was really the pirate logic.  If I knew that I had the freedom to go elsewhere, TGP plan was and still is cheaper than Optus for the same thing.  I would not take that the higher price comes with better services, I never received any. 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors