cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor GedandBonnie
Occasional Contributor

24 month contract with Optus

The NBN (HFC) has arrived in our area and the connection journey begins. Should we stay with Optus after 7 years, just to keep our email address? From reading lots of the Yes crowd messages, a 24 month contract, while cheaper for 24 months, may end up locking us into a frustrating stay, and month by month could be better? We will get the 50 plan. As we want a phone bolt on, this may restrict the providers

I have asked on the chat line a few times with Optus about the internal connection. We want it in our office where the three computers and present Optus cable terminates. (This will then be some 28 metres away from NBN utility box)The chat people say, 'no worries, the NBN guys will put it where you want"..I see many issues where the internal connection point ends up where convenient and cheap for the NBN guys. Do I advise the install guys, "there or nowhere"? Front of my house is on the western side with room temps in the high 40's

If it were my choice. the NBN utility box connection would connect to the present Optus utility box connection (next to the utility box) and maybe connect to the to be provided Arris?, and all done. The Optus cable is already quad coax better than RG6, and terminates in the present modem/router, so would be similar to NBN cable?

Geoff

15 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: 24 month contract with Optus

Hello @GedandBonnie ,

Well congrats on getting this far. It is an exciting time (in the vien of that famous quote - "May we live in exciting times"). Just to confirm you are sure you are on HFC NBN? This will mean the Telstra cable will be run to your home and the Optus one disconnected at some later stage. You also only have around 3 months to make the move as Optus disconnect their service quickly after the NBN arrives. 

The cable install should happen in two phases. First the External Telstra cable to the font exterior and second the run to your internal port. The installer should be able to use the existing Optus cable (either as a replacement or to pull through a cable to your designated spot).

Unfortunately there is no guarantee that it will be installed where you want (Optus have no control over this and shouldn't suggest otherwise). It will depend on the NBN guy that turns up. Mine was nice and I'd made a draw string so they were happy to help out.

Note that where ever it is you can still just plugg the modem into it there (its a small modem with a single cat6 port that then plugs into your RSP provided (or your own router). Nothing stopping you running a 30m CAT6 cable out top the office and placing your router / switch there etc.

A 50 plan is definitely the sweet spot and well priced everywhere however the phone requirement will restrict things a little (maybe) Most of the big Telcos don't provide the phone codes so you are forced to use their modem if you want to have standard calls etc. What sort of call set up are you looking at (different numbers to the office and home?)

Note Optus also do month to month now (click the tab above the NBN Plans they list. They just have a $200 startup fee. Is 4G backup of interest to you? Regardless one of the good things about the NBn is indeed the arrival of choice. If you don't find a match at Optus you are free to leave. As Optus is shutting their network down they are effectively ending your contract so there are no exit penalties.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Geoff Bryce
Hi Peter, thanks for quick reply. The cabling will be HFC, and was connected several months ago. They placed it alongside the Optus cable utility box we presently use. We do not have Telstra (they have a pit in the footpath out front that is a metre under water every rain for several weeks, and that causes havoc to people who use Telstra phone and internet) Hence we went with Optus, because their cabling all on poles.

Thanks for the heads up for Optus cancelling our service in three months or so after email advice of NBN now available notice. Better get my finger out.

I had hoped the installer would think using the existing Optus internet cable as a replacement NBN connection. Failing this, as a pull through to the existing modem/router, though of course, there is no conduit, so a bit of guiding here and there will be required. I had also thought I may put in some white conduit with a pull through, and then they can have an easier job. The installer could cable under the house, as it is raised, and pop the NBN cable through the floor. Several choices. I wish there was some sort of “pre-install meeting” to agree what was needed, rather than someone simply showing up and “do it”. Agree, there is no big deal in running 30 metre of Cat6 back to the office to feed the router/switch, which in turn will feed 3 desktops and a Raspberry and 3 smart tv’s.

We have been with Optus for 7 years and have had no issues at all. I hope the NBN is the same. Seems from reading here, it either works well, or it don’t. But in fairness, when I see a post here, it is often a complaint, with a smattering of looking for information, so probably many many happy customers who never post. We have been used to 2Mbps at best late at night and often 500-700 Kbps, so anything above 5 Mbps will be amazing..Like being overseas.

We only use standard calls and have no special numbers. As long as we can get to local and interstate and Australian mobiles, will be great. We use Line or snapchat etc for overseas now. Don’t need 4g backup.

My understanding is because the NBN own and maintain? the lines now, the RSP are simply gatekeepers that charge you a price to use the wholesalers (NBN) resource. This being the case, if I can get all my emails swapped over to Gmail, then Optus loses its importance, and it then become a matter of performance, and of course cost.

Geoff

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

FWIW its actually not that hard to migrate to a RSP independent email address (GMail) so long as you do it while you still are with Optus. I would defintely recommend it for the freedom it provides as well as benefits like more storage, Two factor authentication, Better Spam handling, etc. I wrote a quick guide a while ago:

-------

Importantly the process (of setting up a seperate email) doesn't affect your Optus account at all. You can set a GMail up tonight and have a play and switch back to Optus at any point if you feel its not working for you. General process is:

1) Set Up GMail Account.

2) In Gmail Settings set it to import all current emails from Optus

3) In Gmail Settings set it to import all new emails that go to the optus address (realtime)

Don't change the gmail reply address. The point is you want to get everyone using your new address. Any replys to the gmail address obviously go the the GMail account

4) Set the new Optus emails to have a 'tag' (or colour code in GMail) makes it very easy to see whats still coming to Optus.

5) Update important accounts you can remember with the GMail address (banks, utilities, security, subscriptions, etc.)

6) Email your contacts with the new address.

7) Roll through the last 6 months of Inbox and pick out any emails that you reckon need the email updated.

😎 Think about any annual events that need the email address updated (Rates?) 

9) Monitor what's coming to Optus and whats coming to Gmail (all via GMail using the tag you setup before) and you should see almost nothing to Optus soonish.

10) Stop using Optus Email

While you're at it, set up 2 factor authentication in GMail (and a recovery alternate address) for much better email security. You can also link two Gmail addresses to swap between so you and your wife could each have their own if you wanted.

Note GMail also has very effective tabs (for example all sales related stuff ends up under "Promotions" and can be ignored as wanted. When you first start though there will be a few misfilings so check each tab. Any issues just drag and drop the email to the correct tab and select "Always do this for this email". Sorts things out very quickly.

-----

As a last tip on getting your emails updated you can switch to the Google Contacts Page. Bottom Left is an option called "Other Contacts" which is just a list of every email address you've intereacted with (Mine had 427 addresses). You can select them all then hit "Export" and "All Selected" and you've got a stright up list to browse through and know you need to update (Most of them you won't.)

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Note that NBNCo only use Telstra HFC. The Optus HFC network is going to be junked in due course (not up to the task). So your new connection is now running back to a Telstra cable (thankfully out of the water). 

Sounds like you are on top of some pre-installation options. I think the existing internal Optus cable will be used but if you set up some conduit / drawstrings that makes thinks easy for the installer. Note they don't need things tidy for this last bit of cable and are happy to just thread it through wherever aslong as people aren't tripping over it.

One thought is that you can use another RSP to connect to the NBN (choose one with month to month contracts). That means you can get the NBN up and running while Optus still supply their old HFC. Once sorted you can either port back to Optus or stay with the new RSP and cancel Optus.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the info. I was looking only last night how to start the migration. ( I set up Gmail some months ago and most is very easy and when travelling, a pleasure) My first investigations all seemed too much, as i was not sure if I have to make setting changes in Outlook to "send" emails to Gmail. I will look again. Agree though, bring the received emails over, then set up for collecting the new emails and steadily filter out the outlook emails. Colour coding Optus server mail brilliant idea. I have about 10% of Optus server mail converted to Gmail...Need to be more diligent.
Geoff
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

If I used another RSP to connect the NBN, then they would supply a new internal coax in parallel. Very convenience, but a tad expensive? This would mean though I have to pay for two services? ( I have a monthly contract with Optus at present) I think I will use the month or so to get my Optus emails migrated across. While this is happening, see which RSP works better for us.
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

For the mail you would probably get it all from the Optus server (not outlook). There's places in GMail settings to just enter your Optus email address and bring it all over in one hit.

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

The NBN and RSP are two seperate companies. No matter which RSP you choose they will all call the NBN and the NBN will send out a guy (or girl in my case) to get the NBN up and running.

Whether you use the existing Optus cable will be up to you (and the NBN person). If you do then they will disconnect it and attach it to the new box. This will mean your Optus connection will be completely severed immeadiately. 

You can definitely tell the NBN person not to use the Optus cable. They will run a new cable in as part of a standard install. However they may say they won't put the outlet where you want then. Can only find that out on the install day.

The main advantage of this second approach is the Optus connection stays on completely uninterupted. This should also happen if you go with Optus but on occassion Optus have been known to switch off your old internet service the day the NBNCo is due to switch on theirs. Fine if all goes well but a nightmare if it doesn't. They aren't legally allowed to do that anymore and my understanding is Optus should provide you with a single contact point over a month to ensure the NBN is running fine before stopping your old service. I don't want to overstate the problem as its almost certain to be fine (was much more an issue last year)

If you go with Optus you will only pay for one plan (unless you request to keep both running in sync for a while until you tell them to stop.) and yes if you do the other RSP tactic then you'll be paying for two plans until you stop one (unless the RSP has a free promo or the like). 

I would suggest you go the following:

1. Pick an RSP (Optus or other)
  2. Arrange for NBN connection 
  3. If you picked Optus tell them to keep the old cable running (They should be good with that)
  4. On the install day ask for a new cable to be strung (have a drawstring if that is easy enough. 
  5. As a fall back ask for the Optus cable to be used for the internal connection.
  6. Cross Fingers

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

My NBN connection is also HFC and was connected to the existing Telstra infrastructure in my house which was no where near my cable connected PC which made it very difficult to connect my PC to the internet and relied on Foxtel Powerline adaptors which caused even more issues.

A complaint to Optus and to NBNco had them come out and install an additional wall plate at my PC at the front of our house.

Only issue now is that the WIFI on the current modem is useless and does not make it to my bedroom making my Chromecast, PS4 and Xbox useless in there. A better WIFI range on a modem would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors