Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

2 Routers/2 Home Ports

Hi guys, i am trying to either connect a second router in my room whilst having to routers conected to my uni-d1, is this possible for example if i had a splitter cable going from the uni-d into the home ports and having one connected to my main router and the other to my room? is this possible as my pc can only use ethernet and the main router is on the other side of the house and cant be moved due to other devices

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: 2 Routers/2 Home Ports

Hi @Brockcook02

If you want to connect two routers to the same Ethernet port, you will need an Ethernet switch.

In your situation, my understanding is that you will need to connect them in daisy chain, as you will need the Optus router with the Username/Password to be connected to the UNI-D port.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: 2 Routers/2 Home Ports

Hi, avoid having two routers on one LAN network. This will created problems as they will both try and route (direct) traffic, think two cops trying to direct traffic at one intersection. Best way would be to have the Optus router connected to a LAN switch which you can get a 5 port for $45 or a bit more if you more ports. A switch will allow you to connect more via Ethernet. If you need more WiFi coverage look for an access point at any good computer supplier which you can connect via Ethernet to the switch and posistion in the dead spots. Do remember Ethernet is much quicker then WiFi. Ie a 1gbps lan is 2000mbps in the way they measure WiFi plus WiFi slows with every meter of distance and every device connected.