Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Cameron123
New Contributor
New Contributor

2 NBN connection at the same private address

Hi Optus

I used to have 2 internet connections at our property 1 for the main house and 1 for the granny flat, the main house was with telstra but the granny flat was with optus.

I went to upgrade to NBN for the granny flat  and had a technician come out to do this for us however when they came they advised that this was not possible as only 1 connection is allowed per property and NBN is inacapable of providing a second line to the same private property.

The reason that we have been given is that NBN as per Government directive can only provide one port to a private property which means they can provide 2 telephone numbers per se but cannot provide 2 internet connections.

The main house has since got NBN with Telstra however i am still on a broadband network with optus that is due to be cut off in a month or so and i cannot upgrade my connection. I cannot fathom how we cannot have 2 separate NBN connections with 2 different providers to the 1 private address.

I saw another post similar to this that was resolved and now has 2 connections to the same private address, can i please get assistance so that i can have the same result.

Hoping someone could actually give me a proper answer.

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: 2 NBN connection at the same private address

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: 2 NBN connection at the same private address

Blame the government. FTTP can have 4 different providers providing 4 different services to a property. The other technologies are limited to one. Perhaps after the role out finishes they will change that (fairly arbitrary) policy but for now you have your answer.

You will need to run some CAT6 cable to the granny flat. Its easy to lay or get a cabler to do it. Share the bandwidth and perhaps the costs.

You don't happen to have HFC NBN do you?
0 Kudos