Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Sabri2488
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: 2 NBN connection at the same private address

Hi. I have a similar problem that worsen with kids attending school program online that required a lot uf uploading videos. Could you tell me what was the point NBN or Optus accepted second NBN connection, Please

0 Kudos
Mel17
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hey, I complained to my local member of Parliament at the time. Explained my position, he was very good and got it sorted out. I don't know how much success you'll have given the current Covid situation but best of luck, no harm in trying.
Sabri2488
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Mel,

I will try local member and Optus branch as well.

Thank you a lot 🙂

0 Kudos
sol69
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

HI Thank you for advising this is possible as I am having the same problem, I have advised optus I am happy to pay for the extra connection and they have told me to contact NBN for the additional line, however when speaking to NBN I was told to talk to optus…...could you please tell me who actually organised this for you.  I have Telstra for the home and I personally us optus and do not want my information shared on the network as I work from home and deal with peoples personal information and due to strict privacy rules I need to ensure this information is always protected.

our connection is via cable

thank you in advance Jane

Mel17
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jane,
I had the same situation and took my issue to my local MP. Initially NBN said that we didn't have enough copper cable coming into the house because we had fibre to the node. We told them we already had the copper wiring to support another connection. Anyways, it's generally NBN who blocks 2 connections as they cite not having enough bandwidth in the area to support another connection at the same private address. MPs recommendation helped too. Good luck!
0 Kudos
sol69
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

thanks Mel, I spoke to NBN they told me they needed optus to put in the request as they are wholesalers only, I spoke to optus and have had so many different stories, one even linked this post saying it was not possible to have two connections,  obviously didn't read it well as I copied you post back to them...…. I have escalated as they have tried to use my Telstra NBN and said my NBN is now with them...….excepet that is a current Telstra account.....I will definitely get in touch with my member for parliament. thanks for you help.

I have the lines already installed into the house which optus broadband is connected to and I have another set that Telstra nbn use....so cabling should not be a problem

thanks again 

0 Kudos
sol69
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Mel could you please mail me @ hidden as I would like to chat with you offline if you don't mind
0 Kudos
dallassuzanne
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi there,

I would also like to talk in a private message but not sure how the @Hidden works.  LOL

0 Kudos
cinemotive
New Contributor
New Contributor

Im in the same situation. Im renting an office in a 3 story building and one of the other existing tenants already has the only NBN thats connected to the building. 
I spoke with Telstra some time back about the options of installing a second line and they said no problem, but there will be an additional fee to run the new line to the building, something around the $250 figure. Anyway, 2 mths later after placing the order, I find out Telstra has lost the order (doesnt exist). So i thought wow, no surprise, let me see what OPTUS can do. They were very prompt and i explained the situation about the existing line and that i need a new line. Sure no problem we can make with work. Ok so placed the order. But something didnt feel right, modem is on its way and all I have to do is connect to activate the service. Connect to what !!! hahah.
So here I am now trying to re-explain to the activation department the situation and that sending the modem is a waste of time. Its at this point they tell me i need to ask the Owner/Developer to submit an application/registration with Council or NBN authority to allow multi NBN connections - not sure what fees are involved. This should have been explained form the beginning, now I need to cancel the service.

sol69
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi in the end I could not get optus to help and all i got from them was one large mess as they took over my existing Telstra NBN line and it was difficult for Telstra to get it back, it took nearly 3 months. After 20 years with Optus I have now cancelled my services.  I have one NBN connection with Telstra and the other with Aussie.  Aussie were great and new exactly what i needed and it is called a subsequent installation.  other wise you can get 2 separate NBN connections with either Telstra or Aussie.  We are cable and such an easy process.  Aussie/NBN technician split existing line and installed new modem.  hope this helps

0 Kudos